FREE potassium permanganate for nudis

dsoz

I had a friend give me 10 lbs of potassium permanganate (agriculture grade) to use against my monti-eating-nudis. Since the published dose is 50 mg/L, this amount will last FOREVER! This does work against the monti-eating type, and is also supposed to work against the zoa eating type (I don't know the effect on the zoas). It may even work on flatworms, and I would give a bet that it may even treat red-bugs. ???

Anyone that has nudibranchs, or something else that they want to use it on, just give me a message and you can have some. I'll even weigh out the correct amount to add to a liter of water.

Either you pick up from my house in Oregon City, or I can bring to the next meeting. (I am sure that USPS has some rule against shipping oxidizers). If you make it worth my trip, I may even be able to bring it closer to you and meet you somewhere.

dsoz

FYI' date=' Potassium Permanganate works great against Cyanobacteria as well, atleast the FW type haven't tried it against marine.[/quote']

This stuff is NOT reef safe. Eric Borneman states that in his article, and I know from personal experience that it kills stomatella and bristle worms along with the nudibranchs.

When I was dipping my montis, there was a small stomatella on the bottom of one of the small rocks that the frag was attached to, and it died a quick death. Then on another small rock, a 3 inch bristle worm crawled out while I was dipping and wiggled around a bit before it died.

This is not something to just dump in the tank.

Maybe you could dip a rock that was covered with cyano, ut you would also be getting rid of any other hitch hikers that are on the rock. Maybe not such a good idea.

dsoz

Suppose I should clarify my statement.

I am by no means endorsing, encouraging, or recommending using this in your SW or Reef tank. Simply stating that it will kill FW Cyanobacteria.

I'm glad you clarified that. I was thinking that if you put this in your tank it would change the pH level and who knows what else! (laugh)