Algae bloom

nyciachef

Ok so I’m at a loss, 80g system 60 gallon display 20g sump bm curve skimmer, about a week ago I got a wicked green algae bloom, my tank is super cloudy and neon green. I’ve changed 40g in the last 3 days, I’ve changed my photo period, my spectrum, turned off my fug light, clean my filter socks daily. My nitrates are near zero, phosphates are low, everything else seems to be ok but yet here we are. Any ideas? I’ve added algae fix, Red Sea no3 control, and conditioner. I’m out of ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, nyciachef said:

Ok so I’m at a loss, 80g system 60 gallon display 20g sump bm curve skimmer, about a week ago I got a wicked green algae bloom, my tank is super cloudy and neon green. I’ve changed 40g in the last 3 days, I’ve changed my photo period, my spectrum, turned off my fug light, clean my filter socks daily. My nitrates are near zero, phosphates are low, everything else seems to be ok but yet here we are. Any ideas? I’ve added algae fix, Red Sea no3 control, and conditioner. I’m out of ideas.

I know of a few members on here that have had issues that ultimately related to the quality of their RO/DI water being used in topoff and/or water changes.  Turns out, if you are in PDX (or have a water source that uses chloramine) you can get an ammonia spike in your RO/DI water as your resin gets depleted.  You won't see this in your TDS readings and, since most folk don't test for ammonia after the initial cycle, you probably won't catch it in you routine testing. Unfortunately, algae love it.  I would suggest testing your RO/DI source water (assuming you are using it and not just treating tap water with prime or similar).  UV will definitely help with the water borne bloom.

• Like 3

I know of a few members on here that have had issues that ultimately related to the quality of their RO/DI water being used in topoff and/or water changes.  Turns out, if you are in PDX (or have a water source that uses chloramine) you can get an ammonia spike in your RO/DI water as your resin gets depleted.  You won't see this in your TDS readings and, since most folk don't test for ammonia after the initial cycle, you probably won't catch it in you routine testing. Unfortunately, algae love it.  I would suggest testing your RO/DI source water (assuming you are using it and not just treating tap water with prime or similar).  UV will definitely help with the water borne bloom.

I am going home to test my water right now. Holly crap, I’m not in pdx but Seattle area and chloramine is about the same.