Firefish Compatability with Niger Trigger

Ronjunior

OK, Just got a med. sized Niger trigger last week, the week before, a med. white stripe maroon clown and my only existing fish was a lemon peel angel who now picks on everyone being alone for 5 months. Scooter blenny showing brass to hold its own. Temperament appeared OK/calm enough so I got 2 oscelleros babies from Joel today, whom ended up an afternoon snack not long after introduction. Everyone saw them as lunch (hungry) pickings. And before I could do anything, they were torn to shreds. Mr brain was frying due to the AAAAKKK an AAAEEEWWWW factor.

Now if I put fire fish in the tank, what experience has anyone else had by this type of smaller fish. At what size do I dare put into a tank with a Niger? is is not the type of life food I want to give out daily. I get Cod and shrimp for that. I'd like a Flame Hawkfish, a purple pseudochromis and/or maybe a yellow tail damsel or striped damsel. But don't want to keep introducing live food into the tank and see our new kin eaten away.

First off if your where to have any luck you should have introduced the smaller fish first, a trigger is a carnivorous fish, and very opportunistic by nature, if it will fit in its mouth it will eat it, if it won't then it needs to be big enough to intimidate the trigger so it won't hassle the fish, if not, one day it will be dinner.

Then there is the once in a while situation where I have Niger Triggers do just fine with everything but inverts... roll the dice, but I would not do it.

i would never do that...its a waste of money. niger will eat it no doubt (if it cant jump out first) look up more compatable fish with triggers...(puffers, groupers, lions, eels etc)

Alright, no firefish :( Wife won't let me setup another tank so we'll have to live without those manly fish, right Twitter? :) My wife woke me up this morning and asked, did the maroon clown have a baby? There is a small clown fish swimming around. Well, one was smart enough to hide, he now comes out swimming at night when all is quiet.

I got a small Niger for my tank a while back. It wasn't long before I realized that no matter what anyone says, they aren't good for mixed reef tanks. Too aggressive. Whatever it couldn't eat, it harrassed. Even my full-sized yellow tang was chased around, and he was bigger than the little trigger. Had to adopt it out.

Sorry to hear about your babies(sad) Good luck with that last baby!

The trigger isn't so horrible until they think food has been dropped and eats like a famished family. Feed flake in am, frozen fish sorts in the evening. They leave my bi color Royal Grammi, bi color blenny and a Scooter Blenny alone. The 1 clown came out of hiding at dark and got him with no rock removal!!! Thank God; not going there anymore, he's now in my sump with rocks, lights, and cheatos. Just needs a bartender to maintain the relaxed and easy lifestyle down there. Hopefully can trade him in towards a Red Sea Sailfin tang, Desjardin at one of the LFS's. Caye's was out. Pricing is under 30 I think. I'm banned from buying more fish (icon), but maybe a trade-in won't get my hide beat too bad (threaten)

Someone could always buy some crushed coral in the trade sections too, I wouldn't get flack if the money came from there :)

It's a bummer kicking out fish, but the Niger is gone eventhough he his an awesome fish, I won't want his temperment of stalking fish all day. I traded in the surviving purcula and came home with 3 crommies. 1 lost a part of a tail, but others keep away. I put 'er in classifieds and if nothing else, trade him in I guess to come out of the sump station he's confined to now.