What the.....are they eating my corals?

N70SJ

ha - yeah, they're going to town on the buffet.

I got a couple peppermint shrimp to deal with a tiny bit of aiptasia. As soon as that was gone they turned to my acans...took out two small colonies before I was able to catch them.

They're opportunistic feeders. I wouldn't put them in the tank unless there's a need....and even then you should try Aiptaisa-X or something first.

• Like 1

I used to laugh when I heard claims that peppermints ate corals. I'd bought multiple batches of peppermints, added them to my mixed reef, and had great success with Aiptasia (a real miracle cure) and never had any problems.

Then one night, I walked by the tank and for shits and giggles turned on a flashlight. There were my five peppermint shrimp just going to town on my Pocillopora. Only the green one mind you -- no interest in the pink one. They ate that thing from a lush green furball down to a bare skeleton overnight. If I hadnt witnessed it with my own eyes I'd have sworn it was RTN.

I still keep peppermints in the tank. In my experience theyre 100% effective against aiptasia. But I no longer laugh at people who claim they eat their corals, and I give the shrimp a stern look any time I see them getting too close to corals I care about. One more step, shrimp, and its down to the sump for you!

Edited by EMeyer
  • Like 2

I put a Rainbow Stylo in my tank and a few days later i saw my peppermint shrimp on it and it made me nervous cuz it looked like yours in the video. But the next morning all the polyps would be back. So I waived my feeder baster around next to him and scared him off the next time and he hasn't been back since. Just lives under a rock at the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1