20L Frag Tank Build

HyphyMike

Well since my synergy reef shadow overflow is shipping out monday, I guess its time (and yes I do know its a bit big for this system, I'm planning on putting it on another system eventually)

Background

I have a 10g mixed reef. I have 2 clownfish, many lps, zoas and softies with a few frags of sps. This tank has been setup for almost 8 months and is doing awesome! 

Specs

I'm setting up a 20L Frag/Propagation System

The tank measures 30L X 12W X 12.5H

Sump is 10g I believe (need to figure this out)

It has about 45lbs of live rock in the sump. Might switch it out for MarinePure at a later time, still unsure.

Quarantine

All fish and coral will be subject to 8 weeks of quarantine.

Fish and coral will be observed very carefully during this stage.

Fish will only be medicated if they show signs of disease. Debating keeping the tank in hypo-salinity when fish are residing inside.

I have a separate 10g tank for this purpose.

Corals will be dipped every 4 days using CoralRX and Bayer Advanced to break the life cycle and carefully observed and inspected.

Equipment

Unbranded 48" 4-bulb HO T5 Fixture, hung from the ceiling

Synergy Reef Shadow Overflow Box, siphon pipe reduced to 1" (box has 1.5" pipes)

Jaebo RW4 WaveMaker/Powerhead

Media Reactor (not sure the brand)

Small In-Sump skimmer (may upgrade later, also not sure the brand)

Askol Powerhead 802 Return Pump

Future Stock List (In Order)

5 Cerith Snails  
5 Trochus Snails
5 Red Leg Hermits 
2 Turbo Snails
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Firefish Goby
1 Lawnmower Blenny
2 Clownfish

Possible Additions
1 Emerald Crab
1 Six Line Wrasse

Pictures

Tank

5p36ms.jpg

Sump

33l1f6q.jpg

Reactor
642lci.jpg

Lighting
2yvkn6o.jpg

Current 10g tank
26a2daad03.jpg

Advice, questions and comments appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. Here we go, happy reefing!
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah I've been doing my research on the sixline. I really want one. Theres an unbeliveably cute very very small one i want to "rescue" from a local petco. But after doing my reasearch and judging by some of the fish i intend to keep in here, I dont think hes going to be a good choice. Maybe one day I'll get him a tank of his own. I think I'll just get some super cool clownfish and call it good.

Ya spectra, and its amazing even for little flow. Reduced the main siphon drain to 1" since I'm only pushing like 400ish gph through it. Its uber silent with the bean animal set up and I couldnt ask for anything better. And it will fit on a huge tank when I move out of my apartment! :)

Your coral look amazing in here. I need to post some pictures soon

• Like 1

Pu6wPdcQdmEluG67hEvhTruK1jHWa3UXMZVc8Csq

H4Cxv0nXNv6stbKeMmL8Debzb1IzSiLPUnxERVVt

These are most of the polyps from you spectra. All doin awesome! Those pinks and those purples are so awesome!

qMG2owGQCP-msjMFuJnz5KyXoVtBvyAK64MfTFX0

USxrC1wj-KBlyDVFTvMZ2ymdzLJSrvQ6-kHl5xoi

D7EbbCa1cfDnX-TbzvePofVMUhF7XdwmNHnflj4j

WvEMOoKKKRlET-LjWq3nY3EPvadUKEAfSjvk0kWp

Skimz SK201

kzQAf9c2Zl-c0ogpxwBR9ZbSFkt1MtC5xgMbeVQG

Tunze Osmolator 3155

FX9KtW_fRI8VaG9gKWbXZwdrtYvMVWzHlsvdfZTXIt has very much become my snail and quarantine tank while the firefish is in his own quarantine in the bedroom.

Standby Spectra my camera cord doesn't seem to work and that has all my plumbing pics in it. Gotta xfer them to the SD card.

Edited by HyphyMike

Nice. Ya I waited months for this overflow. Preordered it like 2 months before they actually were scheduled to ship. But well worth the wait!

Love this osmolator and this skimmer I got too. All i need now is an apex and I'll have everything I need for my future tank!