In Maui just took a snorkel trip

GOBY

Well I have to say I have not been very impressed with my first real reef experience in Maui, went to 2 dive sites today and the most impressive fish was the Moorish ideal fish other than that the black trigger and yellow tangs were taking over. Not one soft coral and all the hard corals were finger corals half were dead and the other half were looking like  a one year old tank just starting to cover some rock ..... OMG and the sea urchins were in every crevice like a blanket of deadly oops you touched a rock now you'r screwed sorta thing.... am going to venture out on scooter to dive along the coast so i hope I will find more impressive sites....

Have to go where other don't. If herds of people have been there it's been beaten up.

The worst places are in shallows that people can stand up in.

If you have the funds go on a snorkel trip. They can get to some cool places in a boat. I know on the big island you can rent a boat yourself and the prices were not bad.

Good luck.