Little help with some algae

superjohnny

Here are a couple photo's of it. I added a sea slug at Woodie's suggestion, but it hasn't touched the stuff. Thinking of adding a nudibranch, but not sure if it'll eat my zoa's :/ Need to find something to eat this stuff because i'm fed up with manually removing it 1 hour each week. Month after month after month it just doesn't go away. I haven't put a drop of food in the tank in 3 months so I can't feed less. Any ideas?

algae1.jpg

And a zoa just for fun...

zoa.jpg

Fun, I would suggest a tang if it was a larger tank, otherwise I got rid of mine using prodibio from waves, but it will kill all algae not just that stuff. That type will take over the tank with good lighting, be forewarned.

I've got something similar. Nasty stuff. My tang munches it, but definately not enough to eradicate it since it grows so fast.

I'm going the prodibio route once my tank is back to normal. I've read mexican turbo snails eat this stuff. I tried one, but it was the size of a softball and knocked all my frags over all the time.

I used prodibio for about 2 months, there is now no phosphates in the water, no hair algae (it was bad) and the small patches of different algaes are gone as well, only problem is it starts to kill off your cheatomorpha as well in your refugium. It took about 2 months, I pulled the cheato and grew it in a 5 gallon bucket with a light, that seemed to work well.

Margarite snails will tear that stuff up!!! I had a ton of it on my rocks and they mac it down the minute it comes up. So far, I have had those snails for 5 months and no problems. I love their little black and green stripped bodies, plus they are small and don't knock stuff over...love the zebras but man are they clumsy.

Kris

Margarite snails will tear that stuff up!!! I had a ton of it on my rocks and they mac it down the minute it comes up. So far, I have had those snails for 5 months and no problems. I love their little black and green stripped bodies, plus they are small and don't knock stuff over...love the zebras but man are they clumsy.

Kris

IMHO I would not suggest getting margarite snails. They are a temperate animal that slowly cooks until death in our warmer systems. In the wild they can live for over a hundred years, in our systems, well most less then a year. IMO there are better options and unless your running an extremely cool temperate tank maragrites have no place in captivity.

JMO

Understandable about Margarite snails. I happened upon them when I first started. They are out there, in LFS. They have been caught and will never return to there original habitat. Unfortunate as it may seem, there is nothing I can do about this.

However, in the mean time (since I have them) I will enjoy there extrodinary cleaning powers that be.

Kris

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd update this thread since I finally have it under control. I went into Waves and saw the same stuff in one of their tanks and asked the guy (not Joel) what it is. He agreed with Miles in that it is turf algae. He suggested a couple of Turbo snails and he was right. I took all the rock out and scrubbed it with a brush to get rid of 90% of it. The other bits have been kept under control with the 2 turbo snails. It was growing out of the sand and on the back wall as well, but it's under control now. I've never seen the emerald eat a thing. It just hangs under the rocks out of sight. I see him from time to time, but he's never out in the open.