Live rock bleaching

ANGUS

My tank has the following:

PH 8.2, SALINITY 1028, CALCIUM 400, KH 169, TEMP 79, AMMONIA 0, NITRITE NITRATE 0.

Still a novice! What is meant by coralline. The live rock is bleached on the sides with patches in the middle. For the most part, the live rock is purple.

the purple is an algae called coraline algae. If you break the rock in half, most of the time it is white (dead coral skeletons). Coraline algae grows on the outside of it causing it to turn purple.

Coraline algae bleaches for many reasons. Some of them can be the water parameters are not correct (too high salinity), too much light (coraline likes more medium light), too warm/cold temperature, low calcium or alkalinity (most likely).

I would lower the salinity first, test calcium and alkalinity levels second. Then if the calcium/alkalinity levels are low you need to raise them (water changes or dose with a calcium product- pickling lime and baking soda are cheep and it works well).

dsoz

ok, if you liver orck was just kinda "dirty" before and now it is white then it is the rock cleaning itself off. it usually means that the bacteria in the rock has processed everything and the rock is no longer full of nasty. you get the same results when you cook the rock (slow process of processing live rock to remove the nasty).

IMO, it is a good thing, shows your filtration is working good and your tank is not overstocked

BTW, i would get the salinity down big time... I actually keep mine at 1.019-1.023

BTW, i would get the salinity down big time... I actually keep mine at 1.019-1.023

I think that the salinity depends on what they are keeping, and each person has their own opinion. I think that a fish only should be lower, like around 1.019-1.020, but a reef tank does better at around 1.024-1.026. The lower salinity helps with the fish only tanks to keep parasites at bay, but the corals need the higher salinity to thrive.

Again, this is JMO.

As recommended, I have lowered both my tanks to 1024 & 1025.

My lighting setup for my 100 is 2 175W 20,000k and 2 fluorescent T-8 30W Aqua Coral. The same lighting for the 75 except 150W Halides. The 75 is where the bleaching has occured.

That is most likely the issue. When you switch Kelvin, sometimes that will have an affect on the algals in your tank. This includes coraline. I wouldn't worry. Your tank is likely just adjusting and will soon develop the purple that you desire in those "bleached spots". As for salinity, I would most definately keep it at the level that you have just changed it too. I keep mine at 1.025-1.026 pretty constant and have really good success. Most of the coral farmers that I have talked to also keep their systems at these levels unless they are setting up a quarantine or hospital tank for a sick fish. Replicating the natural levels of salt and all other minerals is very important to both the health of you corals and fish, as well as all of the millions of micro organisms that call your tank home(including much desired pods and bacteria).

Sounds like your tank is doing awesome, and thanks for letting me babble a bit.

Garrett