Salt Creep....

kriswaters

A discussion to find out:

A) If everyone battles this.

B) How they remedy this lovey side effect of Reef keeping.

C) If salt creep lowers your salinity in your tank.

D) If you dispose of the salt creeping from your tank or allow it to re-enter the system.

As always, I love the input.

Kris

A) I sure do, but i wouldn't call it a battle

B) I don't get much salt creep, so not much to remedy

C) Yes it does, but i think the effect is minimal except on smaller tanks. Evap is more prevelant than salt creep

D) I just toss it back in the sump

I get the impression that salt creep is mostly a product of poorly constructed/designed systems. I know that's why I deal with it on my prop system. I would guess that a really well designed system like Steve W's has minimal if any creep at all. plumbing leaks and bursting bubbles I'd think are the biggest sources...idunno.

I'd avoid reintroducing it....deposits can pick up all sorts of particulate matter.

A) FW people don't battle this.

B) Clean it up whenever you see it.

C) Technically yes, but I can't saw how much yet.

D) I will dispose, I can't say where it has been, or what it actually is.

Your answer to A) was taken slightly askew. I obviously was referring to those with salt tanks.

As for the other comments, thanks. I myself have salt creep. I don't have a euro bracing system on the sump, perhaps that is the reason why. It also creeps up my overflows (from the sump) and down my power cords from the power heads. My water level is right to the top so I am sure this is why that happens.

I suppose that one day I will tear things down to spring clean it and put a rim around my sump.

Anyway, just wondering.

Kris

All for one and one for all when it comes to sarcasim....it's just hard to see in type! No worries, I am hard to offend...just thought I'd give a little shout out about it.

I was going to say "no duh" but hey...that may be pushing the sarcastic bubble a little far!

It's all gooooood.

Kris