Never a good sign

Holly

That's the best part--I haven't put anything in there small enough to be eaten by that hawkfish (2.5"). I have NO CLUE what it could've been. (scratch)

The smallest thing with an antennae that I've ever had in there was a 3/4" camelback shrimp which has been missing since the day I put it in 3wks ago. I don't think it's possible for my hawkfish to get a 3/4" shrimp in its mouth.

My skunk cleaners have been carrying and dumping eggs pretty consistently for a while now, so maybe it's possible that a larvae made it to that size? I also have emeralds that I've caught doing the deed a few times on the bottom of the tank at night. Maybe they had eggs/larvae..? I didn't think that it was possible for any larvae to survive a busy reef tank tho...

Any ideas?

I love both my hawkfish. They seem to have personalities, like gobies. The arc-eye darts around the top 1/2 of the tank and the red bar seems to prefer the bottom 1/2. Works out well.

My arc-eye "yawns" a lot when he's perched in his fav SPS. Is that an aggression/territorial thing?

Pledo- what kind of seahorses do/did you have? How difficult are they to keep? I've been reading up, as I'd like to set up a seahorse tank eventually, but it seems that some can be very finicky eaters and hard to keep. Do/did you raise your own live food?

post-266-141867737254_thumb.jpg

I think it just what they like to do, mine runs from clam to clam perching inside of them, I am waiting for the day one of them get mad and SNAP. But hes a quick little bugger, I would really like to get him out of the tank but he is impossible to net.

Pledo- what kind of seahorses do/did you have? How difficult are they to keep? I've been reading up, as I'd like to set up a seahorse tank eventually, but it seems that some can be very finicky eaters and hard to keep. Do/did you raise your own live food?

I kept WC reidi's, WC Comes, and a CB barbouri.

Buying CB from an aquaculture facility like Seahorsesource.com will greatly improve your chances and increase the ease in keeping them. Dracomarine.org is also a good site.

If you buy real CB (stay away from teh TR IME as many are bred in net pens in the ocean and have shown over the last year to have internal parasites as well as eating issues) they are not to tough to keep.

I'd go with a 29g for the smallest tank for a pair. Try to keep the temp below 74F. You'll be able to feed frozen foods (will save you thousands).

Relatively compared to other things I have kept seahorses are fairly easy if you setup the tank with there needs in mind.

If you have more specific questions let me know or start a thread here and Pm it to me. I don't read on here as much as I should.

HTH

Kevin.