Filtration Questions

Paratore

So I'm planing out my JBJ 45 that I'll be setting up for my last year at OSU. The tank won't be going up until September so I've got lots of time to plan :)

I stumbled across these reef sculptures and feel in love. But with such a small AIO tank, I'm worried about filtration. So here are a couple ideas I've had to combat this issue.

1) smash up a ton of live rock and put it in the media baskets.

2) buy a gallon of pond matrix and out half in my sump at home and half in the JBJ. I would buy it now and let the bacteria start colonizing it.

3) I don't know... Other options?

Here is what the sculptures look like.

dff07ed3b4935ade9b0fa24a789278a9.jpg1504b71b3819b7bee68d91eb56a8289b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you planning on keeping in the tank?

Duh that would probably help too lol.

I plan to keep Euphyllia, Zoas and maybe a month or two. Mostly LPS and Zoas though. For fish, I'm not sure yet. It will probably be 4-5 fish. Thinking: two bicolor anthias, leopard wrasse, clownfish pair, and a Midas Benny. That list will probably change though.

Marine Pure Spheres for suggestion. I know nanoreefer uses them in his fusion 20 and well you've seen how that looks lol. Also d2mini from reef to reef uses them on his office lagoon and I'm going to try them out on mine.

• Like 2

^ Marine pure blocks or spheres in the sump, you will need to use live rock for a while until the blocks are good and seeded though. I'm pretty sure all the hubbub about it releasing aluminium turned out to be ok being the form of aluminium released is a non toxic- non soluble type. Sorry, wish i had better vocabulary to explain what i mean. Spent about a month reading a thread about it on RC with Randy and another chemist running ICP tests.

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 1

That's for the feedback! I have seen the marine pure blocks before and didn't even think about using them! I have my frag tank with tons of Love rock so seeding the stuff should be easy. Just deciding between the marine pure or pond matrix. Have either of you tried the marine pure? Maybe I'll have to shoot nanoreefer a message to get his opinion.

Edited by Paratore

That's for the feedback! I have seen the marine pure blocks before and didn't even think about using them! I have my frag tank with tons of Love rock so seeding the stuff should be easy. Just deciding between the marine pure or pond matrix. Have either of you tried the marine pure? Maybe I'll have to shoot nanoreefer a message to get his opinion.

I haven't been able to try out the block yet as it's taken me a month to read the thread and waiting on testing and i'm still not all the way through the thread yet  :laugh:   :comp:  but hey, atleast i'm in the 2016's now.

They have these neat plates that you can place in between the baffles which might work great for me being i have 4 baffles and it seems the water is too still and stagnant in there. Maybe if i throw some plates in there it would add enough resistance to increase the flow through my baffles.

• Like 1

I use the Filter Floss Holder in 1 of the back chambers, as well as I have bio-plates, and cheato in the back, I also have an Mj 1200 Cobalt that runs to a BRs Mini Reactor with Carbon/GFO and lastly a Cad Lights PLS-50 in the other chamber for filtration in my JBJ.

• Like 1

Paratore-

I have a large bucket of pond matrix if you wanted to come by and get a scoop to try out I am sure I have enough to spare I am just down the road in Aumsvile let me know.

Dude that is very generous of you! I may have to do that when I get a chance, and I'll bring you a frag or two :)

I use the Filter Floss Holder in 1 of the back chambers, as well as I have bio-plates, and cheato in the back, I also have an Mj 1200 Cobalt that runs to a BRs Mini Reactor with Carbon/GFO and lastly a Cad Lights PLS-50 in the other chamber for filtration in my JBJ.

How do you like that skimmer? I'm looking at it or the tunze 9004.

I liked it at first but after having it for about a year it seems the pump is going out so a bit disappointed in those respects considering how much the little skimmer costs. I was also looking at trying one of the Tunze's but to be honest I really don't think there is any Nano skimmer on the market that can compare to a full size one, therefore as always I do 5 Gallon water changes every Monday.

• Like 2