Baby Sit Some Sick Fish?

Bevo5

This might be a long shot - but after about 6 months of having bouts of ick come and go in my 200g I’m thinking it’s time to just go fallow. 

It’s really frustrating - but I had a trigger about 6 months ago that I didn’t have QT for (ugh) and he brought ick in the tank. Now, my tangs go in and out of having it. They’re doing ok, but I just QT’d some new fish and put them in the tank and a week later they got it…so it’s for sure still in my DT. Most of the fish never show any symptoms, but these new fish and the few tangs that have it - are getting worse.

Problem is - I don’t have the filter capacity to set up a new big tank. Even though I do have a spare 180 in the garage, moving them into a brand new tank, with no established filtration seems like a disaster waiting to happen anyway. All of my LR has frags glued on it.

So - this is a long shot.

But I’m thinking maybe I could move the fish to someone else’s already set-up system and pay to rent out some space while I let the DT go fallow and copper the existing fish.

I figured it was worth asking - if anybody has the tank space for something like this. I’d obviously pay for the time and help.

Thanks.

The other possible solution would be if someone has about 50 pounds of WELL ESTABLISHED live rock - base/sump rock whatever - that I could throw into the spare 180 and get it up to speed instantly. 

I could see that working. I can fill up the 180 with about 100g of spare RODI I have on hand, then use tap (ugh) - let it spin around for 24hrs to dechlorinate since I can't use Prime given the copper coming. And then use the LR to filter and throw everyone in there for a couple months.

So you want to move fish with ick into someone else's established tank? Honestly, I don't know many people that would go for that.

Was your other plan to get 5o lbs of established rock and copper it? That will destroy the rock. It will absorb the copper, so it will lower the copper level making it less therapeutic, and also destroy the rock.

I always recommended keeping a sponge filter in your sump. Then it's always ready to go. If I had a fish break out I would do a water change into the new tank so it's the same water they are coming from. Add the sponge filter. Then copper. It's ready to go and the least stress possible. Then toss the sponge filter and start a new one. Cheap and easy.

But in all honesty I would think of a plan c, because I doubt anyone would give up their established tank to be coppered. You may find someone with a big qt going already but moving the fish will probably make them break more.

So you want to move fish with ick into someone else's established tank? Honestly, I don't know many people that would go for that.

Was your other plan to get 5o lbs of established rock and copper it? That will destroy the rock. It will absorb the copper, so it will lower the copper level making it less therapeutic, and also destroy the rock.

I always recommended keeping a sponge filter in your sump. Then it's always ready to go. If I had a fish break out I would do a water change into the new tank so it's the same water they are coming from. Add the sponge filter. Then copper. It's ready to go and the least stress possible. Then toss the sponge filter and start a new one. Cheap and easy.

But in all honesty I would think of a plan c, because I doubt anyone would give up their established tank to be coppered. You may find someone with a big qt going already but moving the fish will probably make them break more.

I think he was referring to someone's hospital tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always been told that copper kills the beneficial bacteria anyways so it doesn't matter if you have live rock in a hospital tank. That's why hospital tanks are always empty. You've just got to do water changes consistently and often to keep the nitrates/ammonia down. I've always Qted fish in empty tanks and it works just fine if you keep up on water changes. And I've found that Hypo salinity works the best. Doesn't ruin the tank or rock either :) you might want to look into that method also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AH true!

I'm in Portland.

Thanks for the replies all. Yes - my long shot idea was that someone had a large QT tank that they wouldn't mind copper in. That's a long shot but worth asking. Not ideal.

With the LR plan - I just need a way to instantly cycle a tank. I have a QT and sponges in my sump to run the QT but there's a big difference between the bio needs of 2 or 3 fish and 15 large fish! I wish it were easier but I don't have enough established media to make that a healthy experience.

So I figured I could just buy some LR and nuke it and move on with my life when it's done. Worth some cash to save the fish.

At this point - given that it's unlikely Plan A or B will work....I'm setting up a giant UV (which will help longterm but not in the immediate), going to keep water nice and clean, feed garlic and hope they can fight it.

Ick has been in the system for about 4 months and only a couple fish ever show signs...so I'm hoping things will settle down. Fingers crossed at least.

• Like 1

How about this:

Anybody have some fully-established sponges they could sell me? My new plan is to set up a 40g and toss the more prized fish in there. I just don't have much in the way established media to help it out. Everything is already in a QT..