Talk to me about purple tangs

JeffP

space-

Tangs in general need a larger tank than normal, I would not put a single tang (juvi) in a smaller tank than 125 gallon, as it gets bigger it will need a larger tank for swimming space. I have 3 tangs and my 155 just isn't big enough, saving pennies now for a larger tank. Or do like 90% of the people that care less and throw them in a 55 gallon. Sorry, could not resist.

Food-

They love nori, but also feed them other meaty foods of your choice

Other-

Just as any fish they can be aggressive so be careful not to get tangs that look similar to other fish (copperband and yellow / blue and purple) unless you get them when they are young.

I picked up a purple tang and a yellow that where in very bad shape, bones exposed, the works, I got the yellow tang recovered but the purple did not make it, but it was a beautiful fish.

Guest Mbeef61

only known 2 closely...one is my friends...his is pretty territorial and often checks out new arrivals with some love taps no matter what the species is...they both seem to love to pick at nori but also go crazy for brine, mysis, worms etc. the other one i know it from my work and hes been in a 240 with only 4 other fish and hes been there for like 18 years. still pretty much the same as the others...granted no fish have been added in like 10 years but i could almost tell for certain he wouldnt be too happy.

Hmmm. Well here's the story. A friend of mine was tearing down his tank because he finally got tired of the maintenance - so I inherited his Purple Tang, Coral Beauty and some rock. I fear that my 60G is too small for the tang - he seems to be happy, eating and swimming around but for how long is the question. He's a good size 5" + long.

It will be fine for the time being' date=' but you should start considering upgrading or finding a new home. They need lots of swimming room.[/quote']

Yeah - he's look good now. I don't plan on upgrading just yet - it's a new tank and I want everything to fill out before even considering upgrades! :eek:

I'll give him a few months with me - he adds some nice activity to the tank. But before he gets too much bigger I'll have to get rid of him sadly. Beautiful fish.

Yeah - he's look good now. I don't plan on upgrading just yet - it's a new tank and I want everything to fill out before even considering upgrades! :eek:

I'll give him a few months with me - he adds some nice activity to the tank. But before he gets too much bigger I'll have to get rid of him sadly. Beautiful fish.[/quote

Hey Jeff... give me a shout if/when you decide to find a new home for him. I have a 120 that he might like... yeah, I know, it's not huge but it would still give him a lot more room. ;)

If you need to find a home for him in the future, I have a 210 that has tons of room. I also currently have a purple tang and love it. Probably one of the coolest tangs in the Zebra family. I also have a good sized Naso tang, and a yellow tang. All of them get along really well with only the occasional tail wack at each other (yellow and puple only).

Nori is fed 3-4 times a week as well as on alternate days several different varieties of shrimp and other tang/angel mixes. They definately aren't the pickiest fish, but keeping enough vegitable matter in the tank is the key. I try and make sure to throw some live macro from the fuge in there every once in a while.

Garrett

You got it guys - I'll post here before I do anything with this guy.

I'm making sure there's nori or Sea Veggies in the clip for this guy. Too bad my fuge only has chaeto and one small strand of caldupra (or whatever). Once that grows out more I'll snip it and add to the tank for the Tang.

You got it guys - I'll post here before I do anything with this guy.

I'm making sure there's nori or Sea Veggies in the clip for this guy. Too bad my fuge only has chaeto and one small strand of caldupra (or whatever). Once that grows out more I'll snip it and add to the tank for the Tang.

Cool... thanks Jeff. I tried giving my other tangs and rabbit fish some goodies from the fuge and they just ignored them.... they go crazy over a clip of sea veggies though! They all have also adapted to frozen, including SWF gumbo, emerald cuisine, spirulina brine, mysis, and, of course, anything and everything green that has the gumption to try and grow in the main tank.