Filter floss silencer

Ninjabeaver

Hey guys when I built my 75 I ended up not having enough room to build a proper drain setup and as a result it is very loud. I used a piece of filter floss type material to quiet the water falling into the over flow and it is silent now.

Has anyone else done this for a long period of time? I am thinking it will need to be cleaned pretty frequently, or flood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I haven't thrown filter floss in my overflow, but I have done cloth or a passive activated carbon mesh bag. It seemed to work. Changing return flow can help quite a bit too. Usually raises the height of the water in the overflow enough to quiet it down.

Algae growth can quiet it down too. I like to let a fair amount grow in my overflow. Seems to limit growth in the tank.

a passive activated carbon mesh bag. It seemed to work.

Excellent Idea!

Yes filter floss will just gather crap like a Filter Sock, and with your water constantly running through it can have negative effects if not replaced regularly, I would suggest trying 2 weeks before changing inspect how bad the floss looks, and if needed replace it weekly but as long as it gets replaced and isn't sitting there for the next 6 months I don't see too much of an issue.

Stand pipe to raise the water level in the box is much safer I would be very careful about putting things in your over flow box that can clog up and or get suckers in the drain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Stand pipe to raise the water level in the box is much safer I would be very careful about putting things in your over flow box that can clog up and or get suckers in the drain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ya I could buy a couple of fittings that would raise it up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like 1