Moving a Tank

bowen1022

Hi all, I have to move my tank back home shortly and I have a few questions.

1. Should I dump the sand and replace with new?

2. Am I going to have to deal with a cycle?

3. If I do have to deal with a cycle is anyone willing to keep some livestock for me?

4. Any other tips/tricks with moving a tank? (Mine is 10 gallons so shouldn't be to complicated.

Here is my plan so far:

-Take everything out of the stand

-Unplug and remove all equipment except the light. Box it up

-Place corals in bags and containers then into a little larger container with a blanket to insulate

-Fish into a small container for swimming room.

-Tank down rinse out

-Head home, acclimate and set up

1. I have done half replace-half new, and I have replaced it all. Never kept it all. If I did, I would give it a wash.
  2. Not as long as it normally would be if you transferred the live rock.
  3. Umm...depends if you trust me. :P
  4. 10 gallon won't be too hard. Just be ready to have the place its going prepared. Do a 25% water change. Make sure you have the water ready and warm. You'll be fine. It's really a break down and do the same thing in reverse when setting it up.
  • Like 1

How far of a move is it? 

I did a quick (five blocks) move of my biocube a while back and I left the sand in there. I really wish I hadn't, as it's impossible to not stir up all kinds of junk. Fish and corals were fine, but it was just gross. 

I'm no expert - but - a good majority of your bio capacity is in the rock anyway right? Might as well start fresh with new sand then add water then rocks. 

As long as it's a quick move your rock isn't going to have any die off - just fill up some five gallon buckets with water and move it over. Pick up a Seachem ammonia alert if you want to be on the safe side. They're not 100% accurate all the time, but they can tip you off if ammonia is building up.

Keep some spare water mixed and warm for the first week and you'll be fine.

Hi all, I have to move my tank back home shortly and I have a few questions.

1. Should I dump the sand and replace with new?

2. Am I going to have to deal with a cycle?

3. If I do have to deal with a cycle is anyone willing to keep some livestock for me?

4. Any other tips/tricks with moving a tank? (Mine is 10 gallons so shouldn't be to complicated.

Here is my plan so far:

-Take everything out of the stand

-Unplug and remove all equipment except the light. Box it up

-Place corals in bags and containers then into a little larger container with a blanket to insulate

-Fish into a small container for swimming room.

-Tank down rinse out

-Head home, acclimate and set up

1. No, just keep it in the tank, it is small it won't be to heavy

2. Ya maybe, pick up some Prime or other similiar product to detoxify the ammonia

3. You won't need a babysitter, prime is cheap. I can watch stuff if you want, but you won't need it, just use Prime. Amquel is good if you can't find Prime

4. Depends on how far the move is. I have moved my tanks 9 times now, everywhere from 400 yards to a 1000 miles. In all cases I would say have extra clean water on hand. If you have a 10g tank and you have 20g of water on hand you won't have to fear anything, especially if you have Prime/Amquel.

As for your plan rinsing out the tank is kinda weird. Might skip that

If you have specific questions hit me up. 

6hrs isn't bad....  i don't have experience moving things that far, but i would think you could just remove the water into something like a cooler.  Put the livestock in that... maybe get a couple of those heating pads to throw in if the water starts to get cool.  Leave the substrate in the tank.  Don't change it or move it out.  Then put the same water back in the tank... minus maybe 25-50% like suggested above.  Give it some new water.  I wouldn't think if you did that you would go through a cycle.  I think people have lost power to their tanks longer than that and been fine.

• Like 1