Directing drain flow through socks

Bevo5

This all seems fairly logical - but I'm having an issue with my filter socks just getting completely overrun in a couple days, but only being 1/2 dirty. So water isn't getting through the whole sock. I don't mind changing them every couple days but when the [language filter] things overflow my skimmer goes nuts.

Right now It's a straight shot down from the main drain (1.5in) into the sock at about 2in below the surface. I was thinking I would add a 45deg elbow to the end of the drain, directing the water through to the back of the sock more.

Any reason that's a dumb idea?

I don't know how the sock is mounted, but you might be able to raise it off the water line more. That way there is more surface area out of the water and gravity can do its job.

Although, filter socks get dirty. You have to clean them often. I clean mine every 2-3 days.

A lot of factors here:

What size socks?

What's your sump turnover?

Extra space to move socks up? (As mentioned)

I started my tank with 2x 4" socks and quickly realized that was a mistake. I have 2x 7" socks now and they take a long while to fill and overflow despite my tank load.

You could try a T at the bottom of the socks and see if that helps use more surface area. Also, there is always the 200 micron socks. I change my 2 100 micron socks every 1-2 weeks.

Thanks y'all - I don't mind changing them, as I prefer to get the junk out of the water flow anyway. I just a bit more flexibility to change them on my own timing.

It's a good idea to try and raise them up a bit. I can see if that will work.  If not, I'm just going to slap that elbow on there and push water through the sock more.

They're 7in socks...100micron. Pump is a Jabao 12,000 set to like the third setting. I think I'm pulling about 2500GPH through it after everything is said and done. Tank is a 200g. Bit high for turnover I guess....I could always slow that down.