The ReefBox

So I am trying to raise my alk from 7.7 to about 8.3

My calcium reactor us ran by my apex and set up like this

Solenoid on at 7.7 and off at 7.55

Recommendations to bring it up to 8.3?

Ca is 490

Mg 1380

Brian,

I use Apex to prevent KH swing too high using reactor's pH probe.  This is mainly for KH guardband.  To increase KH, give more C02  ( more bubbles ) but do it slow and check KH frequently until 8.3.   I have my some where 8.5-9.3.  Rich nutrients and high KH will make things grow at good rate and colors.

Here is my KH high guardband ( when too much C02 ).

if pH > 6.65 then ON

if pH < 6.60 then OFF

I do not have KH low guardband ( when CO2 gas is out or solenoid is dead )...may be I should :-)

Edited by caolewis

Try leaving those settings but increase your rate off effluent, that should cause the solenoid to stay open longer and melt media longer

Brad this what I was thinking too but then my thought was would more co2 just shut the solenoid off faster thus causing it to cycle quicker (on/off/on/off on/off etc.?

Brian,

I use Apex to prevent KH swing too high using reactor's pH probe.  This is mainly for KH guardband.  To increase KH, give more C02  ( more bubbles ) but do it slow and check KH frequently until 8.3.   I have my some where 8.5-9.3.  Rich nutrients and high KH will make things grow at good rate and colors.

if pH > 6.65 then ON

if pH < 6.60 then OFF

I do not have KH low guardband ( when CO2 gas is out or solenoid is dead )...may be I should :-)

I have noticed tank is using more alk now and I base it on coralline algae starting to grow. I'll give this a try

Brian,

if pH > 6.65 then ON

if pH < 6.60 then OFF

You sure about that Tom, he leaves the setpoints the way they are increasing the CO2 will just create less burntime- no offense but I think that's not correct information I could be wrong

If the number above was pH references then I am pretty sure.  My tank's KH will reach 8.5-9.2 when  "6.5 <  reactor's PH < 6.95 " ( the right number will reduce over time once things grow bigger).  if reactor's PH read above 7.0, KH is way below 8. 

Edited by caolewis

What's going on in your reactor has to do with your rate off effluent bubble count etc, he can't just increase CO2 to make what change he is looking for. He can increase CO2 but will need to make an adjustment to his effluent or set points

Consider the extreme, crank that solenoid needle valve wide open-that increases his CO2 but his set points will be maxed out in a second, and then the lower pint may not be reached due to an excess of CO2 which means he has no melting of media.

He needs more contact time this could be accomplished by leaving the set points alone and increasing effluent but he needs to check KH in 12 hours I'd recommend, there is th enhance the increase of effluent rate won't allow enough build up of CO2 in the reactor that triggers his .ow set point and would keep the solenoid open the entire time (that would increase his KH huh LOL-not good)

The other option is to reduce the off set point, which creates "more CO2" or contact time, maybe that's what you meant.

No offense meant my friend

• Like 1

ahhh, I got no feeling so no offense...:-) It's good to discuss to help others.

I see your point.  My effluent flow is pretty good ( while some others have it dripping ).  For my case, I try to not to touch effluent flow but increase the C02 counts.  It's pretty sensitive for my tank with a hairy touch on C02 knob, KH could swing to .5 or 1. 

For brand new tank and no corals, it would be around 35-45 of bubble counts per min so I doubt if the solenoid is wide opened and still be at that low KH

Ok so update, I just changed my off set point to 6.9 and on at 7.5 and increased the effluent from almost stream to a full stream

I checked at 9 am and was 7.7. At 930 pm was 7.3. Thus the change

Or should I lower the on point as well

Brian,

Readjust reactor's enfluent to good flow ( a bit faster than dripping ).  You don't need full stream unless your tank filled with big colonies and have a great need of CO2 ( Danik's old tank or ReefJunkie's tank :-) ).

Good effluent flow, and count the C02 bubbles, it should be 40-50 counts per minute is where your tank should reach around 8.3ish.  Readjust your apex C02 outlet guardband so it's on while trying to reach and maintain your tank desired KH.