CF Light question

defigart

Don't use anything below 10k unless you like a lot of algae. That and the 6-7k bulbs look too yellow. Most people will use 14k or higher to get more "blue" without using actinic.

From what I hear, 10k gives good growth with lower quality coloring. 20k is better color but slow growth. 14-15k is a compromise between coloring and quick growth.

HTH

Are you planning on using CF bulbs for the tank that the anemone is going in? There are very few people that would recommend using that type of light for anemones. But she did come from a tank that was lit by PC lights... It may just work for you. I hope that it does.

dsoz

• 2 weeks later...

Are you going to mix in any actinic bulbs? If you run straight 12k bulbs it may not look "blue" enough. Most people mix in some actinic and/or 50/50 bulbs into their lighting.

Really, a variety of different colored light bulbs are better. Each type of bulb has different wavelengths that it burns at. So different bulbs help out with different wavelengths, each is needed for good photosynthesis.

dsoz

My Power compacts (all 65W) are 2 - 50/50's, (6700K and actinic blue) and 2 - 10000K. The four T5's I haven't decided yet for sure what I want. Could run 2 -12000K and a actinic blue and something in the 8000K range. That would give me a good mixture of spectrums, and from what I have read good color.