Is it a full moon??? snails are reproducing

dsoz

Earlier today there were three or four stomatella that were all shooting gametes into the water. One was shooting some that were a little larger (eggs), and two or three were shooting smaller (sperm). That went on for about 15 minutes. Then they all went back into hiding (to have a cigarette or something). I turned off the sump and skimmer for about an hour, hoping that some of those gametes will combine and grow up to be baby stomatella. I have heard that they can and do reproduce in tanks. Let's hope that I get a new batch of baby stomatellas in the near future.

Just now I was watching an asterea snail perched WAY up on the tallest rock, and smoke (gametes) were coming out of the vent tube. More reproductive efforts in my tank. What is with all the reproductive behavior that I have been seeing today?

dsoz

Edit- the wife took the camera with her for the week. So I can't take any pics. Sorry.

• 4 months later...

I never actually saw this thread when it was posted.

But I can share some FW info, that may shed light on the subject.

There are numerous FW fish that only spawn when there is a certain level of sexual chemicals in the water. For example the Clown Loach, will only spawn when there is specific level of mammal produced estrogen in the water.

It is possible that the astrea snails were stimulated by the chemicals in the water from the stomatella spawning earlier in the day.

Of course what triggered the stomatella could be anything from lunar pull/moon phase, atmospheric pressure, to just plain old good conditions.

But what ever triggered the multiple species spawning, congratulations.

I have watched the stomatella spawn almost every month, right near the full moon. Either I am not as observant at other times, or they only do it at that time. I am also starting to see many small stomatella crawl around on the glass at night.

dsoz

I never added a clean up crew really. I now have two, possibly three species of stomella's in my 30g with 25g refugium. It's quite cool. I have the typical variety and an all black version. Another seems to be appearing but don't know if they are just a variation or another species of the same.

They are quite fun. I have 30-40 in my system.

Only other CUC is a peppermint shrimp, a conch, and two astrea.

Good times.