What is "Southdown" sand?

defigart

Its argonite sand. Was packaged by a company that called it Southdown sand for use in kids sandboxes and other similar applications. It was so great because 50lbs bags could be bought for 10 bucks.

This was before the myth about using silca sand had been shotdown.

It is fine, but I like it alot. Its really nice stuff. I have 200lbs of that along with another 100-150lbs of the Carribean live sand that is larger in grain size. Both are nice and serve different purposes in the tank. Many inhabitants seem to like the finer sand while others like the courser stuff. As far as blowing around the tank, I havn't had any problems. I will however say that you need to rinse the stuff 10 times before adding it to your tank. It will still be clowdy, but your protein skimmer will take alot of that clowdyness away within a couple of days. Make sure and clean the skimmer and collection cup alot during the initial stages. If you can find the sand, it is great stuff. Best bang for the buck and works wonderful.

Make sure and rinse it really really good.

Garrett

Guest Mbeef61

stuff looks kinda grey in my opinion....it always sticks out...looks like a sandbox to me....i like the crushed coral. just my opinion.