How many fish per gallon

StayPuff

Ok i know this is a hot topic i know i kind of always wondered myself.

Isnt it like 1 fish for every 5 gallons?

Does this include both tank and sump so i have a 91 gallon tank actually about 79 the rest is the sump So do i take the 91 gallons total or just the 79

So about 16 fish or more. I know this can be all over the place and maybe I'm figuring this wrong.

All my gar in the tank is rated for 50 gallons more sump wave maker etc so I did over kill on things but I don't care :)

I'm curious as to what you folks have out there.

The 5 gallon per fish really doesn't work and you're better off erring on going with less fish but it depends on what fish you have. Part of it is how much swimming area they have but the other consideration is how much of a bio load you will have and that's when the sump volume matters. For example I have a 20 gallon with 2 clownfish and a fire fish and gold dwarf eel. Technically that follows the 1 fish per gallon rule but the eel doesn't take up any swimming area as it stays in the rocks. Your best bet is to post up what you are thinking about getting for your tank. Too many of the wrong type of fish causes stress and makes the fish more prone to illness and aggression.

I agree as I have 5 fish in my Fusion and only one is a swimmer. One I never see as it hides in the rocks and only pops out to eat if even that.

Post up what you are thinking and I am sure someone will give there thoughts.

which 5 do you have?

BTW I want to go some what   small fish under 4 inch as adult

which 5 do you have?

BTW I want to go some what   small fish under 4 inch as adult

I have a six line and that is the only real mover in the tank.....lawnmower, Randalls Goby, Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish and a cave goby who I never see but is the coolest fish in the tank......look up my build for pics.

I have a six line and that is the only real mover in the tank.....lawnmower, Randalls Goby, Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish and a cave goby who I never see but is the coolest fish in the tank......look up my build for pics.

No just post them :)  Actually I will look some up :)

Those Goby's can be a wreck they sure can move the sand though I had a cool one but he was always changing my landscape  and burring my frags on the bottom

Neither one of these are sand movers......yes if you get a diamond goby watch out :ohmy: That is the 20 dollar fish that will kill a 100 dollar coral in a few minutes :blink: great fish though if you do not have any corals on the sand as they keep the sand bed clean.......

Neither one of these are sand movers......yes if you get a diamond goby watch out :ohmy: That is the 20 dollar fish that will kill a 100 dollar coral in a few minutes :blink: great fish though if you do not have any corals on the sand as they keep the sand bed clean.......

that's right I was thinking fo the diamond I knew after I posted that :)

There is not a whole lot out there.....

Sand sifting star

Nassarius  snails work for moving the sand but not sure how well they clean it.

Fighting Conches move about the sand cleaning it slowly.

Not to many things really. I have the latter of the 2 and they seem to do ok.