A great and terrible day

spshal1

Holly - Thanks for the lead on the Craigslist tank. I emailed the guy but haven't heard from him.

Siskiou - I would have to agree with you, it does seem that the DIY projects end up coming out about the same cost wise as just paying for it to be done or buying it to begin with. Then again, the journey is half the fun, right? On a side note, where did you get your screen name? I grew up on Siskiou street in PDX.

dsoz & Nyles - I would agree with you on the glass. I am not to fond of acrylic tanks. You have to be 'gentle' with them so you don't scratch them and they just don't ever have the new look after you fill them. But I figure that on the bottom it doesn't really matter unless you are doing a bare bottom, which I am not. Add to that the ease of drilling and the fact that it doesn't easily crack and it gives glass a run for it's money - for a tank bottom that is. Anyway, I figure that I would give it a try. It cost $30 for a peice of acrylic, and $5 for a tube of silicone. I wouldn't even say it was a waste. I will just put the piece of acrylic in the pile for a future project. I am out nothing, I still have a broken tank after all.

I have my fish, coral, and rock 'living' in a Rubbermaid tub in the corner of my room right now. For their sake I decided to order a new tank. I worked with Joel at Waves and Patrick at FantaSeas and have figured something out. With any luck it will be here next week sometime so that Joel can drill it before he leaves on vacation. I just hope that the new one will not crack, incase it does though, I picked up a heavy duty sealer from Joel. He said it is the same kind used by the company that made his tank. It is some wicked stuff - the warning list on the side is insane! It says that it may even form ETOH when mixed with water or even humid air. I'm thinking that I should set up the humidifier and get to work - wouldn't have to buy a six pack :). Any way, I will try and fix the old tank just in case...... It is summer, I am only taking one class, and I only work three days a week. I have three days a week with nothing to do, maybe this will take up some time. I need it to, I haven't had this much spare time in years, I am going crazy!!

I have a suggestion...

the big problem with acrylic and sillycone is that it is so smooth and the silicone and acrylic molecules are not matched up well for bonding (in laymans terms). to get a really good bond you need to rough it up a bit. take some sandpaper and maker the edges you want to seal as rough as you can. then use a razor to score a line around the perimeter. the next time you seal it the silicone will have something better to bond to.

Twitterbait - I git the idea behind the sanding of the acrylic, but why score it with the razor blade? Is it creating a stop for the spreading silicone or a grove for it to fill and grab onto? It is a great idea, I will give it a try. I am working this weekend so It wont be until early next week until I can try.

Thanks spectra. I haven't got any glass yet. Since I ordered a whole new tank from Joel this project has taken a bit of a back seat. Later this week I hope to get a little more work done on the broken one. I still want to try the acrylic bottom. I figure that I will give it a go with the super insane caulk that I got and see how it works. It has kind of become a learning adventure, see if it works. If it still doesn't work with the super insane caulk I will surrender and have a go with the glass. At this point I will just be happy to get my fish and coral out of the bucket in the corner of my room and into a new home. Heaven knows they have waited long enough!!

So I have the tank coming tomorrow, they were able to score me a tank by itself for a SMOKEN price. I cant say the price, but Ill say half of the online price that was listed here.

Ive called the delivery driver, Im trying to get him to come by waves early, so I can have it drilled for you before I leave at 3.

I picked up the new tank today, it looks beautiful!! With any luck I will have it up and running some time this weekend. Joel also has some really nice corals that came in today. With my tank in a sort of limbo I really shouldn't have bought one but I had a weak moment. It doesn't really matter though, the small frag was dead before I got home :(

The colony was going south anyway. The guy filling-in for Joel was fragging what he could in an attempt to save what could be saved. Add to that the always great Friday afternoon traffic on I-5 for several hours.... I really wasn't to suprised. Dissappointed yes, but not surprised (It was a REALLY nice frag too, a crazy teal-like colored acro that I have never seen.)