How to define "reef safe"

Holly

I found a site that listed the all of following fish as "reef safe with caution" but some of them don't seem "reef safe" to me at all, even "with caution"...? :confused: I guess I'm kinda asking how you guys define "reef safe" because it seems to vary a lot (scratch)..

Freckled hawkfish

Potter's angelfish

Fisher's angelfish

Lemon butterfly

Yellow longnose butterfly

Saddleback butterfly

Orange butterfly

Teardrop butterflyfish

Moorish Idol

Snowflake eel

Whitley's boxfish

Leaf Fish

I found a site that listed the all of following fish as "reef safe with caution" but some of them don't seem "reef safe" to me at all, even "with caution"...? :confused: I guess I'm kinda asking how you guys define "reef safe" because it seems to vary a lot (scratch)..

Freckled hawkfish

Potter's angelfish

Fisher's angelfish

Lemon butterfly

Yellow longnose butterfly

Saddleback butterfly

Orange butterfly

Teardrop butterflyfish

Moorish Idol

Snowflake eel

Whitley's boxfish

Leaf Fish

Alot of people keep shrimps and crabs in their reef, most of these are known for eating those, but will not bother corals...Also, some do feed on corals, but I believe alot of them, do it in nature when food is scarce, in the tank there is usually an abundance of food (most of the time), so they are "full" and do not need to feed on corals... I have had flame and potter's angle a couple of times and they have never touched a coral...

I am not sure if that helps you...

Guest Mbeef61

hawks can irriate corals by perching on them as well as eating small ornamental crustaceans but not always,

angels can pick at corals but every one is different as well as the butterflies.

snowflake eels can topple corals and eat small fish and shrimp but are otherwise reef safe

moorish idols i would consider not reef safe unless you found some one in a million that didnt pick at things

If it does not say reef safe, I usually do a little more research either through articles, books and eventually do liek you are doing post and see everyone's experience witha particular fish, or read previous posts and experiences. I usually find quite a spectrum justifying or condemning the creatures. It then become an issue of balance as far as whether your fish will find its needs met by teh specific diet you are providing or if it will start looking for alterantive source which could include some undesirable species , including corals, inverts, pods etc...

Experience...and weighing out the risks

My two hawks don't bother anything but do perch on my corals. No permanent damage thus far.

I've heard flames were reef safe, but the potter's angel sounded not-safe from the description (good to hear that it can be safe! -cuz it looks beautiful!)..

Never thought of that Reefgk, but I'm sure you're right that if they're fed regularly, they peck on corals and inverts less. I never saw a coral angel pick a coral before, but it's listed as a "with caution" too, as a coral-nipper.

I guess it depends on feeding and tank environment.

Good to hear that an Idol might be OK. I think they're just gorgeous and look so interesting!! :D

Guest Mbeef61
I must be lucky' date=' my moorish is not picking at anything, except rock and sponges...[/quote']

how long have you had it...sponges i would consider not reef safe....some people dont mind a pick here and there but i prefer my corals to be the best of their ability