Moving Aquarium - Reuse or New Sandbed?

Zwickm

I'm moving in to a new house and am trying to decide if i want to start with a new sandbed or try to wash in RO/DI and reuse the old.  I've read opinions for doing both ways so wanted to check with the forum to see who may have experienced this process and what you decided to do. The one thing i know i should not do is dump all the old sand in without washing. .

Anyone have recommendations?

Use new sand. It makes a BIG difference. Sand is a hot bed for detritus and is just a junk trap. Go new anytime you move the tank.

Exactly what he said. I am even starting another tank and taking one down that has only been up for a couple of months but new sand will go in the new one. to many things can happen with the old sand.

• Like 1

I have reused sand a few times with no problem. I drained off all the clear water I could before moving the tank to place fish and corals in and saved 10 gallons for cleaning rock and sand. Rinsed out the sand real good in its own tank water at the new place. Scooped it from the bucket with one of those wire kitchen strainer scoop things. Put the sand rock and new water back in the new tank and let it set over night to settle.

Now your really going to call me nuts, I don't reuse glass aquariums. Back when I was a renter every time I moved I bought a brand new tank. Granted they were usually AGA 55's so the were cheep.

The amount of beneficial bacteria a Sand bed holds is insignificant in comparison to the detritus and other nasties it can potentially contain. Keeping the sand bed is only risking bringing a problem to your new tank, whereas switching that sand bed eliminates that risk and provides you a newly fresh clean sand bed to start with.

• Like 3