So how "reef safe" are tangs?

Mandinga

After some research and discussion it has come to my attention that even tangs are not really reef safe.

Anyone else here have this experience with tangs?

Widespread reports of rogue tangs chomping lps, palys and Zoas.

I recently observed my tangs all eating little bites of a rainbow wellsophyllia and picking at acans. The purple tang I believe started the raiding party, and soon the yellow, hippo and tomini were following suit.

Over on the big board there are hundreds of posts about this...people say that once they get a taste for coral, it's hard to break the habit.

I think any fish is an opportunist and depending on circumstances they can and may nip at a coral. Our guidelines on "reef Safe" are more of a "probable" definition, than an absolute.

You probably already saw it Exodus but I think it is over on the nano forum a clown fish eating at some SPS......person was wondering why there SPS was turning white so hooked up a camera and got a video of it.

I have only had a Hippo and a Tomini and neither one had issues.

You probably already saw it Exodus but I think it is over on the nano forum a clown fish eating at some SPS......person was wondering why there SPS was turning white so hooked up a camera and got a video of it.

I have only had a Hippo and a Tomini and neither one had issues.

I didn't see that but something in me wants to ask was it Harry?

Also @Mandinga sorry to hear about your rainbow wellsophyllia, I have one as well and I would be livid if I saw a fish going to town on it, that really does suck. In my larger reef several years ago I had 5 different tangs and a trigger (Sargassimas : Spelled wrong, i know, whatever)  and I never had an Issue with them. The only issues I have had are with shrimp going after them if they show any signs of stress.

Luckily I got the wellso out and into the sump...where it'll recover until I part ways with it:(

I have had tangs for many many years and only did I see them eating around the edges, picking at algae.

Lps and Zoas do look rather tasty:)

I wonder if that would ever account for a mystery fish death? Tang eats a rainbow paly and never wakes up!

I have noticed my Scopus tang nipping at a half dead purple sea fan, but I'm sure he was eating the algae on the tips.

Or was he?

Do you know where your scopas tang was last night at exact 2am? Lol.

I'm gonna need some sort of tracking device to keep tabs on my tang gang.

• Like 1

Or was he?

Do you know where your scopas tang was last night at exact 2am? Lol.

I'm gonna need some sort of tracking device to keep tabs on my tang gang.

Actually 2am is about when I get home from work, lol and when I do my nightly check up on the tank. Lol.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My blue hippo nips at LPS occasionally. Kinda sucks since it only takes a time or two for the wellso to not puff all day. Yellow tangs usually don't bother anything from what I've seen in my tank.

Should also note my blue hippo is like 5" and the smaller ones I never notice picking on stuff.

I had 2 hippo tangs that I traded away to Tim because they got a taste for acans. They didn't kill them but the acans never expanded well after that. I think part of it was our own fault. We were trying to catch another fish in a trap so didn't feed for a few days. Didn't have a problem with sps only Lps.