Octopus Skimmer Question

miatang

I am considering purchasing an Octopus Recirc. Skimmer. I was looking at Pacific Coast Imports RPS-3000 PCI RPS-3000 and a Coral Vue OCT-DNW-200 Coral Vue OCT-DNW-200 . I am not sure what is the difference between these two skimmers if anything other than the Coral Vue seems to be cheaper. I have found a significant price difference with the Coral Vue being cheaper. Can anyone tell me why the PCI one is more expensive? Is it a better skimmer and why?

Also, I am thinking of upgrading to a 180 gallon tank in the near future and want to get something that will handle that capacity. I was initially looking at the RPS-2000 and the OCT-DNW-150 but it seems that their max level is ~ 185 gallons. Better to go with the larger skimmer or not?

Thanks.

Well out of the 2 that you posted the PCI unit is bigger and handles more volume of water to get an Octo the same sixe you need to look at this one OCT-DDNW-250. The one you have listed is alot smaller. I think the PCI unit will work great for you like everyone says you can never have to big of a skimmer. I have a 92 and am running the octo 200 on mine and it works great. Have done a few mods to it also. Also remember the footprint on the recircs are alot bigger than the normal ones so make sure you have room in the sump for it. And last whatever one you choose check around at the LFS and ask them if they will match the internet price. I know there are a few that will even if they are only making a little on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Octopus DNW200. It needs some minor modding, but i would put it up against any ER or ASM skimmer out there after the mods i've done. Took me all of about 30min and maybe 10 bucks to mod it.

Mods done:

mesh added to needlewheel

enlarged output fittings

enlarged venturi

I'm pulling about 20schf of air thru it with my first mods, i could easily get more out of it with some more grinding of the output fittings and adding another layer of mesh, but its doing so well why mess with it.