ATO Water Quality Question PLZ HELP!

ReefNoobie

I know this may be a stupid question for some but I can't figure this out.

I buy distilled water and use it in my ATO bucket. The bucket was bought just for this and was never used for anything but this. It's a home depot 5g bucket with a lid, hole cut in lid for hose and cord for pump.

I got my TDS meter today and tested the distilled water (0 ppm) and tested the water in the bucket (130-160 ppm).

I have diatoms I can't get rid of and use dual media reator with GFO and carbon (both have new media).

My ATO uses a clear hose but is nowhere near any sunlight at all. I am about to put a smaller pump and hose on there.

What would cause my good water from the jug to become somewhat contaminated in the bucket?

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the bucket is leaching something. I use the square water jugs you can get at Winco. I feel better about those being designed to hold water, whereas a Home Depot bucket isn't for holding drinking water. Maybe try a vinegar bath for the bucket and see if that helps, otherwise I'd suggest buying a drinking water specific vessel (they are only $5 or less).

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for the response. I just wanted and rinsed the heck out of the bucked, hand dried and left out for a bit. I poured all of the previous water and filled with new water. I am about to test the contents of the bucket now and am hoping it will stay where its suppose to be. If not I will try a new drinking water specific bucket. Thanks for the suggestion.

Any other suggestions?

I used to have the same issue, I used a Kent Salt bucket for my ATO Container, it always had an open lid, would fill it with RODI water and after a few days check the TDS it would be 70 something when water out of the tap was 20! I bought all new food grade buckets and still my TDS is 0 from the RODI unit but if I check it after a couple days it goes up a bit but nothing like 70's, I just ignore it anymore I have yet to notice any bad effects, the only conclusion I can come up with is dust and particles in the air get into the container and in that case with a Rimless tank I'm just polishing the rails of the titanic in trying to fix it.

• Like 1

I used to have the same issue, I used a Kent Salt bucket for my ATO Container, it always had an open lid, would fill it with RODI water and after a few days check the TDS it would be 70 something when water out of the tap was 20! I bought all new food grade buckets and still my TDS is 0 from the RODI unit but if I check it after a couple days it goes up a bit but nothing like 70's, I just ignore it anymore I have yet to notice any bad effects, the only conclusion I can come up with is dust and particles in the air get into the container and in that case with a Rimless tank I'm just polishing the rails of the titanic in trying to fix it.

Good info, I am definitely going to get a new bucket tomorrow and swap it out once I refill. And when I refill I will test and see what happens. Thanks again for the info!!!