Pest id and advice

ChrisQ

I was getting ready to clean the front panel of my tank and noticed several of these guys (maybe a couple dozen) very very tiny, i need a magnifying glass to see them and i'm only identifying them by the "V" on the tail

(not my picture)

flatworm.jpg

They are only on the sps side of the tank. The whole thing is weird as i have not added anything to the tank in months. I dont see any damage to coral.

Won't my Springeri damsel eat these things? I guess he's on vacation or maybe he hasn't noticed them yet

Any advice? 

I think it's an acoel flatworm of some type. I've had those in previous tanks, don't seem to be an issue if you have a wrasse of some kind. They were never a problem to me. Mostly only were ever seen in my fuge.

I just now knocked them all off the acrylic into the water column to let my springeri damsel and sixline hopefully chase them around and have a snack, i really don't want to add any chemicals/treatments being i don't do water changes, i dose trace and i'm afraid of when i finally do a water change i'll change many parameters i don't/can't test for. 

Just watch it. I wouldn't sweat it just yet. If they become prolific then take action.

I'm just glad i caught this now, i'm getting ready to drop over 3k on this tank and i would have been not to happy finding them after the new aquascape and mounting all my frags.

I just noticed some in the 6 gal the other day. I haven't added anything to that tank in months. Must be something in the air. I needa really small wrasse.

Yep Randy, i'm really stumped, mine must have come in on that zoa frag i just can't believe it survived my crazy 10ml per cup mix of bayer. Hey im just eternally grateful i didn't walk in there and spot AEFW again, once was enough with that one! 

Have you added any macro algae?

Yes, around March 25th added my 1st clump of Chaeto 

Even though i sifted through it before adding it along with a rinse i didn't see anything, didn't really expect to with the naked eye. Maybe that's the culprit.

Edited by ChrisQ

Yep Randy, i'm really stumped, mine must have come in on that zoa frag i just can't believe it survived my crazy 10ml per cup mix of bayer. Hey im just eternally grateful i didn't walk in there and spot AEFW again, once was enough with that one!

I have found bayer to not work so well on flatworms in general. There have been people who claim Bayer as an end all best dip but unfortunately that is not the case. Don't get me wrong, it is a great dip that I use, I just also use revive or melafix because of the previously mentioned issue.
  • Like 2

The dip will kill current flatworms but not the babies or some that may survive.. But it also can kill mushrooms and deffinetly Xenia..Mao,e soft corals can't stand up to it when you wanna get rid of pests.. Flatworm exit works well, has for me in the past, but be sure to change the water or you will lose some Sps.. It does cause tissue death or browning if you leave it in the water and not change it out

Have you added any macro algae?

I've seen them thriving in cheato before, some at LFS.. Usually a dip on a frag will take care of any hitchhikers unless it's eggs.. Aefw are worse since they usually lay eggs on the colony or plug and take months to fully cure out.. These softy ones are easy and flatworm exit is cheap, other members probably have some left over