RO Water from Woodys

B.friend

Just for Giggles my friend brought home some RO Water from woodys, So I thought I would check and see what the TDS reading was. Well it came out to be 35PPM which is worse then the water that comes out of my toilet bowl, it was only 25PPM. This is just a warning to check your water before you put it into your reef tank. I don't see how they can even sell this RO water.

Just venting.

Hi Friend:

A couple of questions. What kind of container did your friend use? What was he container used for before getting the RO water? It doesn't take much residuals from a previous salt mix to kick up the TDS reading when you fill it up next time.

I am suprised to hear that LFS dont change thier filters often. I can understand grocery stores not taking much care in this area since its used 99.9995% of the time simply for drinking. But a LFS would hopefully understand how crucial it is for everything that goes into our tanks be sterile, non-contaminated, and most importantly PURE. After all, we are not only talking about hundreds and even thousands of dollars that people have in thier aquariums, but most importantly - the lives of living creatures. Creatures that were put on this planet for the enjoyment and wonders of mankind and were never intended to be taken from thier natural habitats but since we do its important to replicate thier new environments so closely to thier native homes as to ensure a FULL and HEALTHY life.

sorry, didnt mean to get preachy and this post is not meant to flame or upset anyone, nor to cause or sponsors to defend themselves against accusations. Its just my own personaly beliefs about this hobby which i to be important and some others do not. (flame) (comp) (threaten) (peace)

I think every serious reefkeeper should have a TDS meter along with a refractometer and salifert test kit, if you don't know if the water coming in is clean, whats the point. It definitely helps troubleshoot problems, or prevent them from happening in the first place.

FWIW' date=' I have an inline TDS meter available to be viewed prior to ever buying water from me. Its checked regularly, and filters are replaced in a timely manner.[/quote']

So you sell pre-made RODI saltwater? Hmm, could make water change day easier.

I think every serious reefkeeper should have a TDS meter along with a refractometer and salifert test kit' date=' if you don't know if the water coming in is clean, whats the point. It definitely helps troubleshoot problems, or prevent them from happening in the first place.[/quote']

The salifert test kits were the first thing I bought when I started 4 years back. Then I had the algae bloom....then I bought the lawnmower blenny that was useless....then the RO/DI unit. After I got the RO unit I never have had a algae problem. I also have the handheld tds meter and change my DI media when the water reads 10-15 TDS. I was in Moses Lake farm country and the water is 300 TDS and I had hair algae 3 inches thick. Couldnt even see the rocks. Had to take a wire brush to the rock. Looking back....I am sure glad I got the RO unit. It is also hooked up to auto top off my system. Way easier then packing water around.

Woody at Seahorse helped my very much when I moved here from Moses Lake he let me store all my livestock (over 40 corals and about 10 fish). He has always been great that way helping me out. I think his water filter is one he made himself. Its a big DI resin type filter with no membrane. He was probably just getting ready to change his filter media. I agree with Nyles....always check your source water.

Just me 2 cents

Jay

FWIW' date=' I have an inline TDS meter available to be viewed prior to ever buying water from me. Its checked regularly, and filters are replaced in a timely manner.[/quote']

I have always been very impressed with your shop, very clean and well put together. I just wish that you were closer to my house!!

KT

Ahhh :-) I've got plenty of fresh around the house all the time, but never seem to have enough buckets or room to make up more than 10G of SW at a time :(

QUOTE]

You can probably get a few buckets free from your local Burger King, just go in and speak to the General Manager. If you ask, they may even save the lids for you.

Secondly, what about a round plastic "garbage can"? If you look at some of them, they have the optin of gettting a set of round wheels, and then it is more portible also.

Ahhh :-) I've got plenty of fresh around the house all the time, but never seem to have enough buckets or room to make up more than 10G of SW at a time :(

QUOTE]

You can probably get a few buckets free from your local Burger King, just go in and speak to the General Manager. If you ask, they may even save the lids for you.

Secondly, what about a round plastic "garbage can"? If you look at some of them, they have the optin of gettting a set of round wheels, and then it is more portible also.

I've got a 800 sq foot condo - so it's a real limitation :)

I've got a 800 sq foot condo - so it's a real limitation :)

I feel ya. That's why even though I have an RO unit, and extra buckets, and salt mix, I usually just get my water from Waves. It's so cheap if you get the water card, my time is worth more then that.

Anyone tells Joel his water is cheap and you get the (enforcer). We don't want him to know. (whistle)

I feel ya. That's why even though I have an RO unit, and extra buckets, and salt mix, I usually just get my water from Waves. It's so cheap if you get the water card, my time is worth more then that.

Anyone tells Joel his water is cheap and you get the (enforcer). We don't want him to know. (whistle)

the water card is a pre-paid discounted punch card.

Yeah it's really convienient for me. I work less than 2 blocks from Joel so it's an easy thing to do now that I realize I can (rock2)