SWC skimmer

fishboys

Maybe 5 ish years ago I purchased a SWC skimmer. The thing doesn't have any size markings on it. It's not a cone skimmer but it is 22" tall and 8" across. It has a psk 2500 pump it has a piece of Brillo style pad tie strapped on the pin wheel. I assume the pin wheels have hotten better than this one? Maybe not, I don't know. This is still a brand new skimmer never used. I do remember at the time the Brillo pad deal was supposed too be better than the stock one. I did purchase it from either someone's advice here or a group style buy. Can't remember for sure.

After all that I am asking if I need to buy a new pin wheel for my skimmer. Thanks.

They perform well with the mesh wheel but sometimes have startup issues. The pinwheels definitely are more efficient and don't have the startup issues.

This is the one you want...

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Large_Red_Devil_Needle_Wheel_for_Sicce_PSK_2500_Skimmer_Pump_Submersible_Aquarium_Pumps_Replacement_Parts_for_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ1313-FIWPSBRP-vi.html

Yeah you'll run into that, I'm not sure if they quit making that pinwheel but I had to buy one from a shop in Florida and paid too much but I needed to get another skimmer up and running my old prop system.

On all the older MSX/SWC (same thing different colors and name) skimmers they primarily used only the Sicce PSK-2500, the bigger skimmers just used two pumps instead of one. 

Later on they went to the Laguna/Askoll pumps.

Some google searching and you should be able to find a pinwheel but the mesh wheel still performs well.