Controller

spectra

I have AC III Pro, and when it works right, it's great and we love it. The computer interface is soooo convenient. It's nice to have the day and moon lights rotating on a schedule that I can set/change at my computer with a flick of my fingers. IMO the AC is a phenom back-up for the chiller/heater, in case the thermometers on them go out.

However, we've had a few issues.

I use a Mac, and if I have AOL open at all or several Safari/Firefox pages open, the interface won't open properly. I have to close all the windows in order to get the AC interface to open fully. No idea why.

Our probes need frequent callibration. My conductivity probe has never worked in the right range, even right after callibration. I was going to use it for auto top-off with fresh and salt, but I can't trust it to do so. [The temp probe has always worked the best. I've only calibrated it a couple of times and it wasn't very far off.]

The fuses have blown out a few times on our DC8 and DC4 even though I have about 5Amps less than claimed capacity on both. The DC8 has blown out three times; we added the DC4 a little later and it's blown out once.

They've built the DC8/DC4 so it's nearly impossible to get the thing apart and reach the fuse to change it. I've had to do it a few times. I believe I mentally coined new versions of English profanity on each occasion.(whistle) I thought the difficulty was just ME--because I'm not a tech person--so my husband handled it the last time *cue chorus of angels* BTW, he also expanded the expletive dictionary trying to change the fuse. (cussing) ..So I guess it wasn't just me! :D

They couldn't have put the fuse in a worse place even if they'd hired a government agency to design the thing. :eek:

Of course, when the fuse blows, everything the AC controls totally stops. (scary) It's a source of concern if we're gone for a few days. 'Doesn't seem as reliable as it should be for all that $$$. Scenerio: I walk into the house after an errand and the tank is in total darkness with no sound of fans running. You know that feeling? I believe that's called "OH (censored)!!" Bad memory!!! *going to my happy place going to my happy place*

It's GREAT when it works, but IMO there must be more user-friendly, reliable systems out there. I'll try a different controller on our next big tank. Lots of folks don't have our bad luck with it though; this is just my 2cents :D

I have 2 AC Jr's, one I just bought off the group buy at reef hut, I like it a lot for it's simplicity. I have the serial port to hook up to the computer but I've never used it. For the price it can't be beat, but if you're looking to spend more then I'm sure there are better options like the ACIII.

The new DC8 has a built in switch so you don't have to change the fuse.