Well Water

turnburn

I'm moving in with my girlfriend and we have both well water and city water available for use.

Does anyone out here use well water for their tank? I have an RO/DI unit I use for filtering the water and I run a UV sterilizer. Does anyone see a problem here?

Should I have the water tested before I try and use it? I can use city water, it's no problem but where I'm locating the tank has a water outlet (on well water) close by and it would be very convenient to use this outlet.

What are your thoughts?

I'm generalizing-and I don't run RO/DI myself, though I'm familiar with it from work... McMinnville (I think) gets their water from a resevoir- compared to well water, surface water tends to be lower in water hardness. Your RO/DI unit shouldn't have to filter out as many ions on city water and so theoretically your membranes will last longer. You could quickly check this with a TDS meter comparing both sources. Well water tends to have more silica which would be detrimental to membranes. Your city water will be chlorinated though, which is also damaging to membranes, and will require you to run the water through carbon first.

Those are the issues that come to mind... I'm sure others will also have some comments too.