Clownfish babies

Barelycuda

I thought i would post some pics of the clownfish babies that I have been trying to raise this last 5 weeks. I am sorry that i don't have many pics but the digital camera was set at 5 mp & i can't get them on the site. Thanks for the help & advice from Jordan & Jmanrow to get this project going. I currently do not have a pair of clowns that are breeding but I am working on that. I have a frien d that has a pair of true percs, ocellaris, & gold banded maroons that are all laying eggs that i have access to. My first batch that i chose was a clutch of ocellaris. We brought them home around day 7 as they started to turn silver. The first nite the circulation was not right & half the eggs died. The air was moved to circulate over the eggs better. Night 2 yielded 3 hatch, all of which died the first day. At this point I was getting discouraged but thought I would give it one more nite. That night approx 70 larvae hatched. Boy was I excited. It is now day 35 & I still have 26 left!! I am going to bring home another batch tomorrow & try again. This has definately been a learning experience. Anyway here are a couple pics.

Right now the juvenilles are fed 3X a day with Otohime size A. I had the babies on rotifers only for the fisrt 5 days. At day five I started to introdue freshly hatched brine so that the larger larvae would start to switch over. At day 12 the rotifers were stopped as it appeared all the babies had taken to the brine. At around day 14 or 15 I started to intorduce otohime size A from reed mariculture. If I remember right the otohime A is similar in size to freshly hatched brine ( i need to confirm though.) Last week i stopped the brine so they are on otohime only right now. I really like the otohime as it is sized for the stages of juvenilles. I am going to open the otohime B later today & see if they are ready for that.

I will either sell them or trade them in to a LFS for credit on something else. It is really cool having the babies but it can be quite a bit of work. The hardest part i have found so far is the rotifers. I have had one crash so far but it is getting easier with time. I have switched from live nano to the rotifer diet from reed for feeding the rotifers. It is a double edged sword though. You don't have all the 2 litre bottles of nano brewing all the time but it is easy to over feed the rotifers & pollute the tank vs. the live nano lives in the tank until consumed. The live nano however has the potential to ph shock the rotifers if overfed. It is a little more expensive for the rotifer food vs. live. I also have just gotten a little bottle of the roti-rich from Florida Aqua Farms but i am not sure if I like it yet. It has yeast & some other things in it that I am concerned about but does have some extra vitamins. From what I have read the yeast based foods can stimulate faster reproduction but are not nearly as nutricous for the larvae so I will probable switch back to the rotifer diet from reed when time to start feeding the new larvae.