My first fish

kriswaters

After 70 days (give or take a few), I took the plunge and bought some fishies.

1) Six Line Wrasse

1) Percula Clown (waiting for another to come in)

1) Feather Duster (that turned in to two...what a bonus)

The tank is looking good. I am still waiting for my DIY rock to stabilize. The PH is still off the charts. I am hoping to get the fuge going here in the next few weeks. The snails and hermits are doing a great job of keeping things clean, but still waiting for some Nassarius Snails from my LFS. All the params are stable...and I am (slowly) on my way! (whistle)

Kris

Good choices on the first fish!

My DIY frag discs are taking forever to cure! I've had them in the toilet tank for almost 60 days now and the pH is still over 10. I'm working on some more this weekend, but will finally be making rock structures.

Lets see some pics!

I don't know about the rock...I haven't even tested the calcium in it yet. Still struggling with the PH. I am trying to do water changes everyday...I have been bad with that lately. As for the fish pics...here they are...

The Wrasse and the feather dusters

fish003.jpg

"Nemo"...yeah I know, but my daughter had to name him that!

fish001.jpg

Closer shot

fish005.jpg

Right now, the clown is hosted to the bottom of my overflow box LOL! He is a little guy, but both him and "Grumpy" the Wrasse are eating well. I will try to get some better pics of the clown...these are a little out of focus.

Kris

why would you go spend your money on fish if you tank is not perfect. seriously

Perhaps you should obtain a little more info prior to making such a rash comment. My TANK is perfect. It is the DIY rock, that is kept in a seperate container, that ISN'T. Seriously.

Kris

Perhaps you should obtain a little more info prior to making such a rash comment. My TANK is perfect. It is the DIY rock, that is kept in a seperate container, that ISN'T. Seriously.

Kris

I was also confused. Without remembering your whole story, the calcium and pH comment kinda blended with the "got fish" comment. I can understand how Powdertang would also wonder. I also thought that your rock was in the tank and that you were having problems with the tank pH and calcium, and you got a fish anyway. I just didn't say anything. Your business, not mine.

Anyway, nice score on the fish! I know how excited I was when I had my first swimming creature! It is so fun to get new stuff. I just dropped $200, and did not even get a new fish friend (corals don't count). My wife did not understand how I could spend so much without a swimming thing to show for it.

Try to see if your camera has a "macro" function. That and a tripod will help with better pictures. And a lot of patience to wait for the perfect time when the little guy will hold still for a picture.

dsoz :)

Thanks dsoz for waiting until you had all of the info. Others here knew about my DIY rock...and those in the process of undergoing the same understood. I did re-read my post, and it was confusing...still, I myself try to obtain all info before forming an opinion. I am sure my reply was harsh, but imagine my offense, especially after the great care I have taken to set things up correctly.

In all honesty, I some times cringe about posting anything on any forum...you never know how some one else will take it or respond to it. I just want to be part of a group that shares my interests and learn from those who have done it right and who have done it wrong, with out feeling as if I am a total idiot.

As for the fish, they are doing great! The clown has found his way around the entire tank, but still sticks close to the overflow box. The wrasse is happy darting in and out of the rock work. Both are eating well.

I have a "macro" on the camera...but at 3 MP even the 10x zoom is not that great. The pics of the feather duster turned out ok, but that little clown is wiggly! I will try the tri-pod, as I am sure my hand is not that steady!! I already know what I will be asking Santy Claus for christmas!!!

Kris

So, my second true percula clown came in today!!! Luckily he/she has different markings so that I can tell the two apart. It sure sparked the other clown up!!! No fights, and no teritorial issues at all. Even Grumpy the wrasse joins in their "fishie" fun!

I picked up 10, very small, Nassarius snails today as well. 5 took off like a bullet, and 5 turned up empty...luckily my LFS will replace!

Kris

The clowns are fun fun...I am waiting for my daughter to return home from her DC trip...she has the camera right now. There is a pic of the feather duster and wrasse (Grumpy) on the first page of this thread.

I have been diligent about changing the water in my DIY containers...hopefully soon they will stabilize and I can add it to the tank. I really want more ROCK!

Kris

Well,

I added the last of the fish (for awhile)....a Twin Star Goby. He/she went straight to the sand and all I have seen are little clouds of substrate now and then.

My husband asks..."So, we spent $25 on a fish we can't see?" LOL...

Kris