Power needed to fire 8-60" T5 bulbs

aquaman30k

I have been looking at replacing my 2 400w MH's with 8-60" T5's and was wondering if there was a way to get more lights onto a single ballast. Im looking at the WH7 and IC660 which supply 220 and 440 watts of power. The WH7 will run 2 T5's per ballast no problem but the IC660 says it will only run 3 bulbs and by my calculations a 440w ballast should run 5 T5's 80watt bulbs no poroblem.

Shouldn't I be able to run 5 T5's off the IC instead of just 3 and is the IC worth double the price of the WH7?

Thanks,

Josh

• 1 month later...

If it were me, I'd go with the WH7's - It'll only light up to 220w but when I got them they were just $28 ea. The wiring is a bit different on the WH as you will have four "power" wires (red) and a return/common (yellow) and the normal black and white for the wall. Each red wire is 55w's. So for a 110w you'll wire up two reds on one end for each of the tubes and the yellow will be on the opposite end.

GL on whatever you get - less $ spent means more coral for the tank, heh heh