Calling all contractors

Blackice

The figure I've always heard was 80k as a starting point with a tank failure.

I think it depends on where the tank is. If your in a commercial building and having the seam go out can flood the downstairs doctors office putting them out of business for a week and ruining there equipment, you might want to go higher.

I called my insurance company today (Allstate) and they told me that an aquarium does not need to be written into a policy as a separate item at all. My agent said that with the way their wording is, the tank leaking or breaking and causing damage would be the same as a bathtub leaking and causing damage. He also said that the tank and equipment are considered personal property and would be covered too, not just the damaged flooring etc. However, livestock is NOT covered just like a dog or cat or other pet is NOT covered by a homeowners policy. He said he doesn't even have a policy to sell me for livestock. Obviously different insurance companies will have different policies on this, but if you have Allstate, this is what you should expect.

I think it depends on where the tank is. If your in a commercial building and having the seam go out can flood the downstairs doctors office putting them out of business for a week and ruining there equipment' date=' you might want to go higher.[/quote']

I should of been more clear on my post, the 80k figure was the average cost of damage to a home in the instance of a tank failure.

I can't remember where I originally heard that but I've heard that figure multiple times.

I called my insurance company today (Allstate) and they told me that an aquarium does not need to be written into a policy as a separate item at all. My agent said that with the way their wording is' date=' the tank leaking or breaking and causing damage would be the same as a bathtub leaking and causing damage. He also said that the tank and equipment are considered personal property and would be covered too, not just the damaged flooring etc. However, livestock is NOT covered just like a dog or cat or other pet is NOT covered by a homeowners policy. He said he doesn't even have a policy to sell me for livestock. Obviously different insurance companies will have different policies on this, but if you have Allstate, this is what you should expect.[/quote']

It's great Allstate writes that in. It might be different for Renters since the damage to the structure would be someone else's. Home owners and renters are not the same.

I think it is good for everyone to be aware and check to make sure you have the coverage you think you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called my insurance company today (Allstate) and they told me that an aquarium does not need to be written into a policy as a separate item at all. My agent said that with the way their wording is' date=' the tank leaking or breaking and causing damage would be the same as a bathtub leaking and causing damage. He also said that the tank and equipment are considered personal property and would be covered too, not just the damaged flooring etc. However, livestock is NOT covered just like a dog or cat or other pet is NOT covered by a homeowners policy. He said he doesn't even have a policy to sell me for livestock. Obviously different insurance companies will have different policies on this, but if you have Allstate, this is what you should expect.[/quote']

I used to be an adjuster with Allstate and at that time, the tank itself would not be covered since it was the item that failed. All resulting damage to both personal property and the structure would be covered. Maybe there is new wording to the policy.