RO Water or not...

badguitarist

I'm not asking a question here simply telling a fun story. I bough a house back in February that is on a community well. We pay $40 dollars a month for access to the community well. When we moved in my wife and I noticed just how clean the water tasted compared to anything else. at the community well office (they service about 1000 homes) there are several "cleanest water in Oregon" plaques from various years hanging on their office wall. I never really thought about it too much in regards to what that meant for my aquarium, I just kept on plugging along with my RO unit. Right before I moved my inline TDS meter bit the dust after several years of use, I didn't buy a new one till just now. i hooked it up today and to my amazement the incoming water right out of my tap had a whopping 2TDS, not bad at all. Seems like something I might moniter throughout different times of the year but seems to me like there is not really any reason to use my RO unit. My old house had 250-300 TDS and I was happy with anything under 5 coming out of the DI portion. I think its just a matter of monitering the incoming water and if it gets bad at different times of the year hooking my RO back up oh and just seeing how my tank looks without using the unit of course. Looks like I need to find something else to do this evening I was planning on changing out all of my RO filters. I think they will last quite a while now...

yea that was another thought just run it through DI it should last quite awhile. and Chris your right those two ppm TDS could be bad but its pretty safe to say that many RO units final product water has more than two tds and there is just as much chance that that will be bad stuff after being filtered. Im more concerned as to what it will do with seasonal fluctuations, guess I'll find out in a month or so when the rains come

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

IMO it what's in that 2 TDS from the well that's of concern.

Coming from a well I would be very concerned about the 2ppm, not unsafe for people, but I would recommend an ro if you have one. Your filters will just last longer on a cleaner source.

Get the brs upgrade and run another membrane if you are worried about waste water.