Brine Shrimp

reefstudent

I have been doing the live food culture room at my college. We have Nannochloropsis, Artemia, and Rotifers. The brine shrimp we have is the San Francisco Bay brand Hatch Mix. I have done 3 different culture starts and it still has about ten bbs hatching each time. Has anyone worked with this brand or with hatching bbs? Also if you have what did you enrich them with? I have been feeding them the Nannochloropsis I have been culturing, have you used Selco, or anything else? If any one has any advice that would be great!

I've been feeding my brine shrimp with a mix of live nannochloropsis, freeze dried phytoplanktons and bread yeast. I'm not growing the for food though so I don't know if the yeast does anything food for them as a food, but it seems to keep the alive and happy. I've had my culture set up for about 3 months now with this method.

I always used the brine from Brine Shrimp Direct. They have both strains, the Great Salt Lake and the San Francisco strain. The San Francisco strain is smaller and a little bit more expensive if I remember correctly. I used the grade A great salt lake brine and had good success with it. I have heard the price is jumping right now on the brine eggs as the harvest was bad this year. The instant mix packets are worthless IMO. The hatch rate is terrible.

How much brine do you need? If you only need small amounts I would look into the hatching dishes from brine shrimp direct. http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/Hatchery-Dish-p183.html These work great for smaller use and will decapsulate the brine from the egg for you. I was able to feed hundreds of baby clowns with 2 of these. If you were closer I'd give you one to try out.