Closed loop pump opinions

illcssd

So i am in the final stages of setting up my 72, i am using a eheim 1262 for my return, and am deciding on a closed loop pump. I already have a sequence snapper, but am debating upgrading to a dart....

This will be an all sps tank so i do want a lot of flow, but, i will have a 1 inch sand bed that does need to stay on the bottom of the tank.

I am running a sea swirl in the right corner for the return from the eheim. Skimmer is an ev-240.

What do you think?

Is the snapper sufficient?

Or should i get a dart?

For fun the stats are

Snapper: max 2500gph flow

Dart: max 3600gph flow

What do you think?

Guest Mbeef61

also agree with dart....HOWEVER....since you have the snapper you might reconsider...its always nice to have too much than not enough but since you already have it, it might be a waste of money. i have a dart on my 100 gallon...i have 2- 1.5 inch intakes t-ed into a 2 inch pipe , which i recommend instead of a 2 inch bulkhead so it cuts down on suction and trapped fish.

from this it goes to 1.5 inch pipe on return and then to 4-1 inch locline returns. there are some small spots where sand can blow around....which i think would increase in a 72.

so my opinion...if moneys tight i think you can go with what you got and just plan it out thoroughly.

if moneys flowing get the dart, but i would go with 6 outlets or throttle it down or both or something...but you should definately plan for it to be a little much, unless aimed precisely.

otherwise sounds like a nice making of an sps tank....get those pics

Austin you’ve seen my thread on my 75gal. Joel talked me into the snapper for my CL one intake 2” and four returns 1” with lockline I loved how they moved the water around until I put all my live rock in since then because of the currents I have truble keeping the sand in place without cutting it back some. I’m hoping that when I add the OM fourway with the streams alternating I will be able to open it back up. I love how quiet the snapper is. Good luck with your tank can’t wait to see it.

By the way the clam I got yesterday seems to love the new tank and is already firmly attached to the rock although not exactly where I would have wanted(laugh)