G. Ternatensis Mantis Tank Build!

Islandoftiki

Ok folks, here we go!

For those of you who follow along on the Nano-Reef forums, you may recognize this tank as Micro-Reef's original 25 gallon display tank!

1z5m2qq.jpg

Current equipment includes:

25 gallon TruVu tank, stand and canopy.

1/10 hp Oceanic chiller/heater

Tunze 9002 skimmer

Lighting is yet to be determined

Pre-Buffing.... It's in pretty good shape, not many scratches, won't need much work:

IMG_20121104_134707.jpg

This is the rear chamber. The pump goes down at the bottom on the right side. There is a bulkhead fitting with a nozzle that goes in the hole on the left at the bottom, there are two media trays that fit on those shelves:

IMG_20121104_134751.jpg

This is the chamber for the skimmer. It also holds the pump and the plumbing for the heater/chiller:

IMG_20121104_134739.jpg

About an hour and a half later and 95% of the scratches are gone:

IMG_20121104_152708.jpg

I've got both of the pumps running in a bucket with some water and some vinegar to clean them out. They are working great.

That's it for today. I hosed the tank out thoroughly after buffing it to remove any leftover debris. Tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll fill it with tap water, hook up the pumps and chiller and let it run for a couple days to make sure the temperature is stable and the pumps are working well. During the testing period, I'll polish up the stand, the canopy and start working on moving shelves around in the room where it's going. It will be sharing a room with two African grey parrots. :)

I'm also going to give this tank it's own GFI electrical circuit since the nearest outlet only has two prongs and is on the same circuit with a bunch of other junk. I don't want to risk overloading it and losing power.

Once everything is ready, I'll set up the tank upstairs, fill it with salt water, substrate and live rock and let it cycle.

I hooked up the chiller to it's pump and it's all humming away in a bucket right now.

IMG_20121104_195603.jpg

Prior to connecting the chiller, the water was running about 85 degrees with both pumps operating. It dropped the 4.5 gallons down to 80 degrees in about 15 minutes.

IMG_20121104_195552.jpg

That's it for now. I'll do a wet test of the tank in a day or two.

Ok, we're wet with tap water! Pumps are running; chiller/heater is doing it's thing.

0BAE0998-orig.jpg

061C0487-orig.jpg

DA8DE44E-orig.jpg

I'll let it hum away for a couple days while I sort out the details of where it's going to reside in the house.

I want to get a feel for what level of evaporation to expect, how effective the heater part of the chiller is (will it need a supplemental heater), and make sure there are no leaks.

So far, so good. Everything is happy. I might stuff the skimmer into the 7.5 gallon tank in the next day or two, fire it up and see what it can produce.

The chiller is because most AIO tanks tend to run on the warm side. When you throw in a couple powerheads, the pump for the filtration and toss in some lighting on top of that, they often run warm, especially in the summer... just like my AIO pico tank (which needs a chiller). Heck, even my 10 gallon needs a fan in the summer to keep it cool and we have A/C that we set to 78. I only have one powerhead in that tank; the other is an MP10. I'm going to put a peltier chiller on it next spring.

I don't think heat is as much of an issue with most sumped tanks because you get more evaporation.

Must be getting ready to molt soon' date=' hes awesome though love the blue on him[/quote']

He's just getting comfortable and building a den to his liking. He hasn't closed himself in or anything like that. About the time he gets completely comfortable, the 25 gallon tank will be cycled and then he will get moved into that tank.

My little G. Viridis just came out from a two week molt sequestration. A long time for such a small mantis. Second time he's closed himself up for that long. I guess that's just his deal.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

This afternoon, I did the airline mod for the Tunze 9002 and I'm testing it out in the temporary 7.5 gallon tank. Looks a little out of place, but Chuck doesn't care that it's in there.

843D236E-orig.jpg

I also got the two Koralia Nano 425's today, so I threw them in to make sure they work and the water flow is good. It is.

20FF9400-orig.jpg