Tank may need to be moved

Kimberlee

Okay I am pissed right now about this so.......6 months ago I noticed a discolored spot in the ceiling above my tank. I called my landlord and he assured me that it was all fine and dandy. A week ago it started leaking while my kid was in the shower. My landlord got the late night call and was here the next day. He tore out dry wall, checked everything, and we found nothing. The next step is cutting out the hole, which is to the right of the tank. Like an inch to the right. It is apparent that he will need more room than that to work, and despite my irritation my hubby is insisting that we move the tank so the work can be done. I hate it when he's right, but man is he right on this one. Anyway I am concerned about going through a mini cycle. LC Scott had this happen when he moved his tank here.

I need all the advice I can get on how to make this happen w/ little impact on the tank, and possibly the loan of a 55gal drum.

Thx in advance everyone this has really got me all worked up. (My point being, it should have been handled 6 months ago.)

what size tank?

I used the plastic and foam furniture pad sliders on my 75 when we tore up the carpet took some water out and 2 guys tipped the stand and tank back to slide the sliders under and then 3 guys to slide it around the room s we tore up old carpet, knocked a couple rocks over but didn't stir anything up

+1 on nelz3's advice - that thing is small enough to move - drain a little off the top so you don't splash out everywhere, get all the stuff out of the way and move it - you won't have to move it that far and you can just make it out to be a really complicated water change. Of course I have no idea of your house layout, but anything can be done - 40+29 gallons is only like 560lbs, less displacement...(whistle)

Just make sure not to bump any plumbing that's not secured in place' date=' I learned that the hard way on a 40b[/quote']

LC Scott and my hubby both have concerns about the stand buckling, if we do it this way. It's not that it's not sound, they just don't have confidence in work that's not theirs. As for the plumbing it is all hose and can be dealt w/ easily.

The stand I had for the 75was built like a beast and weighed more than the full tank, but if the stand holds up fine now then by taking 50% water volume out it should allow lifting the stand with out any tweaking the sliders ( I got from HD eight for ten bucks ) they are only maybe 1/4in tall do you really aren't putting to much force on the frame of the stand

I had to move my 65g 5 feet to the left. I drained most of the water' date=' left the rock in place, and just picked the thing up and moved it, by myself. Had to have been less then 300 lbs at that point. Not to tough[/quote']

What about cycling again and after effects of disturbing the tank? I think that is becoming the bigger concern.

I would say remove 90% of the water with somewhat of a high gph pump into a large container, move the Tank with a small amount of water but keep it on the stand. Move the whole thing but with minimal water. Then when you have it moved fill it back up. The coral should be fine. Just like when fragging they come out of the water.

I would never move it with water above 1/4 because the glass could crack so easily. As long as you don't mess with the sandbed there should be no cycle. Just my thoughts :)

Sent from Samsung Galaxy SII

What about cycling again and after effects of disturbing the tank? I think that is becoming the bigger concern.

No cycle, nothing was disturbed more then it would be with a large waterchange. My rock and sand stayed in place. A 40g won't be that heavy. Probably less then 500lbs with water. Take half the water our and two semi fit guys should be able to move it a few feet without to much trouble. JME

Like I said, I moved my 65g by myself.

No cycle, nothing was disturbed more then it would be with a large waterchange. My rock and sand stayed in place. A 40g won't be that heavy. Probably less then 500lbs with water. Take half the water our and two semi fit guys should be able to move it a few feet without to much trouble. JME

Like I said, I moved my 65g by myself.

Cool bean...I'm sure everyone here can understand not wanting to move their tank, after watching grow and mature. Thx guys

I know its not a reef but I just moved my buddies fresh water planted tank (75 glass). Took 15 gallons of water out. Put furniture sliders under it. Slid it across the room. Done in back running in 15 minutes. I would not have a problem doing that with a reef under 75 gallons. Just my two cents

This is exactly what I did when I moved my 125 gallon tank across the room. I drained most of the water and used the furniture glider. Worked great for me.