drilling a tank

spectra

I have read many a post on it and have a diamond hole saw to do it. Am wondering though where can I get a diamond cutter for a dremel or roto zip tool? Looked at Parkrose Hardware and the ones they had there said not for drilling.

Thanks!

Check harbor-freight. Either on-line at harbor-freignt.com (I think), or at one of their stores. There is one in Gresham, and another in Milwaukie (that I know of), and I think there is another in Salem.

I have seen diamond bit attachments for a rotary tool there, and they are not very much ($10-20). As long as you go slow, and keep it wet and cool you should be OK. I have drilled glass before (stained glass for windows, not fish tank glass... but what's the difference besides thickness?)

I would use a bit that looks like a rough BB on a stick. You should be OK if you know how to run a Dremmel. :)

Let us know how it works out.

dsoz :)

There is also a Harbor Frieght in Vancouver now. And will let you know how it turns out you never know I might be looking for another 29 gallon tank(laugh) I bought a few pieces of glass from Parkrose when I was there today am going to try to drill one with the hole saw tonight.

Well it did not walk right throught the 29DOH! It turns out it looks like the back was tempered. The thing shattered about half way through. Well everyone is in a 32 gallon trash can right now and I am looking for another tank. Might have to just get an acrylic and that way I know I can drill it(laugh) Wish me luck!

Had the hose running over it and was just letting the drill do the work. I drilled the 1/8" with no problem so I am not sure what happened. I used to work in a glass shop years ago that tempered glass and it broke just like tempered glass would break. Guess it was just not meant to happen(scratch)