Uhuru's 70G shallow cube BUILD

uhuru

As much as I enjoy my little 5 gal tank I wanted something where I could keep some cool fish and larger branching corals. Something that you learn not to take for granted with such a small tank is space. I decided on a custom 30x30x18 envision built tank, hopefully with no visible equipment in the tank. What I "envision" is a bare bottom, high flow minimalist style tank with sps corals, a medium sized group of school fish, and a centerpiece fish (I'm not sure which ones I can keep but that wouldn't be for much later anyways).

Here's some teaser shots of the tank James just sent me:

6808DSC00106.JPG

6808DSC00103.JPG

Equipment I have:

PM ES100 skimmer with gate valve, GenX needle wheel pump (soon to be mesh modded and venturi modded)

30g fuge

20g sump

eheim 1260 return pump

reeflo dart circulation pump

lumenarc reflector

typhoon III ro/di

Equipment I plan to get:

250w aquaconnect 14k SE HQI bulb with HQI ballast

OM 4-way

AC III controller

GEO CA reactor

Phosban reactor

With finals approaching I probably won't get the tank running until summer, but I will slowly start putting it together as time permits. more pics to come! (rock2)

• 1 month later...

Got some live rock today. Went to Upscales and also Aquaticus:

This is how I plan to aquascape:

6808DSCN1986.jpg

6808DSCN1991.jpg

I'm glad that I got the rocks I wanted early, so I could cook them and get all that algae and detritus off before they go into my tank:

6808DSCN2000.jpg

I'm starting physics next week, I'm doing the whole year in 1 summer, so this build is going to drag on for a bit...

thanks! It wasn't cheap...

Here's the sump I bought off someone on RC for a really good price:

6808100_0199-med.jpg

In my research on running a successful BB tank I realized it's not necessary to have a fuge, so I'm not going to have any RDSB or macroalgae. Just a monster skimmer and tons of flow. We'll see how that works. What I like about this sump is it's plumbed for a fuge if I ever decided to add one.

Really? Uh oh' date=' I have it in the kitchen LOL. I guess I'll move it when I do the water change. I have 4 incredibly stinky mastiffs though so not much bothers me in terms of smell. We'll see...[/quote']

This will!!!!!!!!!!! The smell can not be described, but this will get to you, you have no idea....(laugh) (laugh)

Nothing ever is in this hobby. You scored on that sump!!! Whats next? (popcorn)

Steve at Rose City Aquarium is going to build a custom stand for me. His price seems very reasonable. I was going to do it myself at first, but with only 1 week off before school again and a graphic design project I'm doing for someone I just don't have the time to learn a new skill :) Time is money and money is time - either way you gotta pay somehow!