Freshly cut

SteveHash-fish20

It depends on the the type of favia. Most of them I have found tend to like lower light but some of the more established ones that I have had for a while do well in all sorts of lighting. Usually after fragging favias and chalices I tend to put things in lower light and flow to heal.

Probably not. Did you dip it with something like Coral RX or similar? That will help, and you should be in the habit of dipping your corals before you introduce them to your display tank. Either way, they're quite hearty if your water quality is good. You'll probably notice it pretty well healed up in a couple weeks. They're slow growers... or at least mine are. My green one has doubled in size since I got it... which means it's about 3/4" in diameter (it was a very small frag)... that's about a year of growth. It was one of the first corals. Transferred it over from my 2 gallon when I started up my 10 gallon tank.

Yes I have bought fresh cut frags in the past and most of the time they do fine. The main issue I have had is when someone freshly cut frags and then shipped them. It's always better if you can to get a healed frag IMO.

Yeah he cut them a couple days ago then drove them to me they look great! And amazing deal as well. Just never can be too worried in the hobby I feel. Lol

Another thing that helps is if it's a colony that's been in someones tank for a long time.

There's a lot more variability with frags freshly brought in from the wild.

You'll have better luck getting known hearty frags from existing local colonies. I've only ever once lost a frag from a fellow reefer, and that was a single zoa polyp.

Well we have done growouts with zoas and one vendor who is no longer in business sent baby frags that were fresh cut and they did not fare well. The most recent one I did through a private seller, held on to the frags for months until they were all doing well and were well healed and we had better survivability. I know Jody from TECO will wait at least 2 weeks before sending something that he frags to let it heal and sometimes even longer. John is right, it also depends on the coral.

You could probably drop kick radioactive dragon eye zoas and leave them out and they would still live and if you just look at the Soprano paly it will die on you.