Clown Discoloration

andy

Check out the black discoloration on the ocellaris below -- you can see it along the edge of the body, along the anal fin. It's not a great picture, but you get the idea.

The discoloration is more pronounced on the 'chest' (at the ventral fin), turning into large black splotches. Both clowns have it, but one is worse than the other. The fish are eating fine and acting normally, so I don't think it is a disease or parasite; it looks more like a pigmentation change.

There is no anemone in the tank, but both fish 'host' on my Xenia and Zoas.

Anyone have any ideas?

clown_discoloration.JPG

It has been reported to hapen when clowns host corals. The sybiotic relationship has been tuned to host anemones. Corals are not exactly the same, so they sometimes will sting the clowns. It won't hurt them too bad, but it does make them look funny.

dsoz :)

From what I have heard (no experience with it myself), there is nothing to wory about with the xenia. I am hoping that my clowns will host the xenia in my tank when they get out of jail, I mean QT.

I think even with zoas, the toxin is inside, and should not be a problem unless they are damaged. I could be wrong about this.

dsoz :)

No, i never saw her bite the FS. I think its more from diving in head first, the lips are the first thing to touch the corals. That black stripe was also from the FS, after the dots disappeared, that bar showed up and now its completely gone.