skimmer/pump question

uhuru

I have an old Precision Marine EV-100 protein skimmer (basic venturi skimmer) that I was thinking of using my Mag7 with. However, after reading about some of these needlewheel style skimmers, I was wondering - could I get an octopus needlewheel pump or oceanrunner pump and use that along with the venturi that is already attached to the skimmer? Would it increase the efficiency of the skimmer in this case?

I had powdertang05 mod my octopus 3000 and it made a "huge" difference. I would PM him. What it entails is the propellers are cut thinner, then a mesh attached with zip ties. It breaks the air up even finer. I know it is easy to do. but I have not done it personally. I'm sure in a couple of days others will chime in and have help to offer. I have also never handed a MAG and others have. Could you post, through photo bucket, a picture of the skimmer:) If you need help with pictures, that I can help you with.

Well i see I type to slow LOL

I would NOT waste your money on modding a Mag pump they are just not efficient and there are a LOT better pumps for skimmers. Check out this thread on RC on the Laguna pumps, they are pulling amazing air with just changing the impeller to a mesh design. It might be to much pump for your skimmer though but its hard to say without seeing it.

Mesh mod it. http://www.randystacye.com/diythreadwheel.htm

It chops the bubbles a lot smaller than a standard impeller, resulting in more efficient skimming.

For this to work, though, the venturi has to be before the pump. I'm not sure whether the PM skimmer's venturi is before or after the pump.

-Sol

The PM has the venturi after the pump - but it's just screwed into the bulkhead so I could always pull it off...

This is the model skimmer I have (except mine's cracked and needs to be fixed with some weld-on):

es100cutout750px.jpg

Specifications

Overall Height

22”

Base Dimensions

7.75” Diameter

Inlet Size/Type

1/2”SOC or 3/4” SPGT

Outlet Size/Type

1”/FPT

Ozone Compatible

Yes

Pump Recommendations

Sedra 7000, Mag 9

Capacity

100g

the mag 7 can be modded and usually does a great job if its your only pump we can do it and you can get some desent numbers from it usually around 800 due to its a semi pressure pump, but a oct 3000 once modded like ccr it was able to pull almost 1100 lph after modding before was around 600-700 so its a major difference, if you chose a ocean runner they have alot more power behind them and come stock about 700-800 and modding them will get you abouot 1400 lph, and if you use a 1260 ehiem you can get 1200 lph modded and a 1262 around 1800 lph some times even more depends on skimmer and venturi.