Coming up for Air (Research Project)

Palani

Aloha everyone, I know I haven't talked to anyone on this site recently, so I decided to let everyone know what's up with my research project. I just got finished with my fishes section by Scott Heppel on Friday, so now I have time to regroup. I've been talking to the academic coordinator here at the Hat, and he designated my own room for my upcoming experiments. NICE! But some of the electrical outlets weren't working and needed to be fixed and the room cleaned out by the facility crew. Well that was 4 weeks ago and still no progress. Unfortunatly, I will have to regret to say that I won't be able to do this research project here at Hatfield. Fortunatly, I know some professors that are willing to take me in to do this same project back at OSU during the summer. Just a matter of timing I guess!

Since the summer is coming around everyone and their mother is getting ready for their Oregon coast surveys and experiments. Even one of my TA's (teaching assistants) is starting her conservation experiments of eel grass along the Oregon, Washington, and BC coast. So for the Hatfield crew, a silly undergraduate experiment with non-native corals was not on the top of their to-do list. At least we know that our tax money is going back to Oregon. Just to look at it from a positive perspective. But I just have to pay my dues, just like everyone here at the Hat.

I will be working in Dr. Weis' lab durring the summer. At least there is a RO faucet, something not offered at Hatfield.

Just to let everyone know I won't be at this site very often in the next month. In a matter of fact I can count the number of times I've been on this site on ONE hand since I've been to Hatfield. It is a lot more time comsuming than I thought!

I'm also tossing around the idea of selling my own personal nano tank animals and equipment. I haven't had the time to keep up with my tank and it has since degraded in quality. I might also have the opportunity to go diving with Mark Hixon, the reef fishes expert here at OSU, in Hawaii where he is doing some experiments off the Kona coast of the Big Island late in the summer, after my experiments (crossing fingers this time).

Well, that's my life story. Hopefully it will put some people at ease about the idea that I might be scaming the system or the like. If you have any questions PM me since the next time I will come on here, this thread will be on page 5.

Well it was good to hear from you. Thanks for the update. Hope it all works out. And for the diving in Hawaii, that's just not fare..So,fresh coral and a lot of pic's would be really, reallllly cool. :)

Glad to hear that it is buisness as usual at the MSC! I loved having a key to the library and going in there after hours. All those books... So little time... :)

I hope that you are able to stay busy. and can at least get something productive done. I know that when I was there and needed an airline in the lab that I was using, my mentor had us run some line ourselves (Don't tell anyone, it is a secret). We needed air NOW, and we were put three weeks down on the list of projects to be done. Some PVC, and a couple of valves, and BAM, we had air. I am not telling you to take matters into your own hands, but sometimes you need to not waste the time that you are given there.

Good luck with the project. :)

dsoz