Rollermonkey's 29 gallon box of wet

rollermonkey

Both the Assessor and the Firefish are active in the DT, moreso than I'd actually expected. Both are eating well, brine, mysis and pellets, and the Helfrichi likes cyclopeeze, too. (I'm somewhat surprised the Assessor does not, actually.)

I learned that the Mr. Aqua 7.5 Cube actually only holds 6.1 gallons, so these 5 gallon water changes I'm doing in the QT are actually 82%...

There's still no hitchhikers aside from some pods, and I keep getting algae in my #2 back chamber. It's actually choked out the chaeto I had, so I'm going to need more. Still absolutely no algae in the display area, the CUC is certainly keeping that in check.

Wow that dracula is a nice looking fish. I don't belive I have seen one before :D

Isn't it though? About 6 weeks ago, Diver's Den had the exact same goby/shrimp pair for sale, and it was gone by the time I opened that e-mail, so this time, I knew I had to move fast.

Right now, he's hiding under the PVC pipe in my QT, and as of 4 days, I haven't seen it eat anything. The first night, it did try to jump out of the tank a half-dozen times. Every time I heard him hit the cardboard cap from the tank I've got acting as a lid, I couldn't believe how loud it was. I still haven't decided on a name for it or the Helfrichi, though.

The Blue Assessor is Max, though. He likes to do Immelmanns in front of the return grates, which is pretty kick-@$$.

• 4 weeks later...

Dracula carpet surfed. Got a replacement in QT right now.

Also added a brittle star and a fire shrimp. The brittle was supposed to be a micro brittle, but at ten inches, tip to tip, I don't think it's very micro.

I've seen the pistol 3 or 4 times the past week or so, which is nice. Um...

Oh, I don't think the Superman monti survived the drive up and subsequent dip in coral revive. I haven't seen a single polyp since the temperature acclimation finished. The zoas have been on the verge of melting on and off the whole time, but that's my fault. When I originally mounted the JBJ Unibody LED fixture, I dimmed it almost all the way, as I hadn't even finished cycling yet and didn't want algae to get out of control. I never remembered to ramp up the intensity after the CUC arrived... Yeah, I've started on that now.

(drooler)

The Dracula was in QT. I had been using the cardboard shipping lid for the past couple months, but my new custom lid had arrived. I didn't have the bird mesh glued in yet, so I had a square of eggcrate sitting on the lid for the time being. So... He jumped up, probably caught a fin on the grate or maybe even got through clean before flopping off to the dresser top where I found it.

Now, I have bird mesh glued in place, egg crate on top of that, and at night, a light rag on top of that. If she jumps, she will either fall back in, or snag the bird mesh with a fin or operculum and die suspended over the water.

As for the zoas, they were sold as 'unidentified Hawaiian' zoas.

So, tonight, in a dark back alley, I found a coral dealer to hook me up with a fix. Bought three zoa frags. That should keep the monkey at bay for a bit.

Pics when they open up. Some Purple People Eaters, Radioactive Dragon Eyes and a third morph I don't recognize. Might be chocolate mint based on a quick look through coralpedia.

(Sea King Aquariums in Renton, WA if your wondering who this shady character was.)

P1000399.jpg

P1000406.jpg

P1000400.jpg

P1000407.jpg

P1000403.jpg

P1000408.jpg

I was specifically after smaller frags so that I can more easily see growth or problems. One of my goals for this tank isn't massive diversity, but the opportunity for what I put in there to grow out.

This gives me 4 zoa morphs, so unless something drastic changes, I'm done with zoas.