Questions about TDS

rgrcrain

I finally got a TDS meter and my water was at 9 or 10, I've changed all the filters so its back to 0.

My question is what is really considered bad with TDS?

Also, I had a chlorimine carbon block and now I don't, do I really need it in Vancouver?

I'm actually planning to stop my RO at some point here...I know, sue me. I plan on having 3-4 filters that are not the stock ones (probably have a 1uM sediment, one micron carbon, a 0.5uM or smaller carbon and a alumina one (for fluoride)), I'll test the conductivity (which is what the TDS meter is actually reading), and if I'm happy, let it be. I may be a little less than thrilled, so I may put a DI resin after the 4 filters, but I think it won't be necessary. I'll get about 4x the water production per hour without the RO and 4x the life of the filters (gallons per replacement) and am expecting near-0 tds. the sediment will remove particulates, the carbon will remove any organics and chlorine (corvallis doesn't use chloramine) and roughly the only thing left is fluoride, hence the alumina filter. if you're in portland, they don't fluoridate the water, so no need. if you're on a well, you'll probably need to start with larger sediment filters and might struggle with trace metals (heavy water).

just my $0.02