snails knocking off my sps frags :(

JeffP

[language filter] you Turbo Snails! I love you in one way, but despise you in another.

I've glued the frags to my rock, but the [language filter] snails keep knocking them loose. What can I do to stop this? I've heard about putty - where can I get this stuff and would it work better than superglue?

Dont get Margaritas!! They eventully cook over time and I heard that the Bumblebee snails are carnivores and prey on the beneficial faune that grows on rocks and sandbeds. Margaritas are from cooler water and are capable of surviving for a while but not a long term solution.

Dont get Margaritas!! They eventully cook over time and I heard that the Bumblebee snails are carnivores and prey on the beneficial faune that grows on rocks and sandbeds. Margaritas are from cooler water and are capable of surviving for a while but not a long term solution.

(agree) yep there was a reef keeping magazine article about this.

I like ceriths, astreas, nerites, and nassarius snails.

:( [language filter] bumblebees. Well, I'll let them live for a little while. They are the only predator in there now (half dozen in a 60G) - so it's not too big of a concern for the near term, as long as the bugs can outrun a snail :)

Every time I get margaritas they die, why waste your money. Best way to get a good contact is put some super glue gel on your finger and smudge the area your going to put the frag then add glue to the bottom of the frag and apply to the contact area... it works great and the glue on your finger just peels off.

Best way to get a good contact is put some super glue gel on your finger and smudge the area your going to put the frag then add glue to the bottom of the frag and apply to the contact area... it works great and the glue on your finger just peels off.

Thanks Nyles! I tried that just the other night - so far it withstood the impact of my medium Turbo...now I'm hoping it can withstand the powers of Goggalor (I named my giant)!

The only other thing I sometimes do is clean the area with a toothbrush if I am having contact problems. I would not use epoxy simply because you tend to have to sink the frag a bit into the epoxy and the tissue inside the epoxy dies unless you scrap to the bone. The SGG seems to work miracles, dollar store has it cheap and they just increased the amount in the tubes about 30% and you get your dollars worth, I usually get $10 worth and last me a long long time. The only time I have frags knocked over with this technique is when my tangs get playing and slam one hard, but its only about once a month or so.